1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

me & my 800

Discussion in 'Birds' started by phillip 200, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Hi a few from the last couple of weeks hope you enjoy looking at them.

Phillip.

all with d2x sigma 800 f5.6 hsm.
    slavonian-grebe-d2x
    [​IMG]

slavonian-grebe-d2x
    [​IMG]

slavonian-grebe-d2x
    [​IMG]

red-throated-diver-d2x
    [​IMG]

red-throated-diver-d2x
    [​IMG]

common-gull-d2x
    [​IMG]

:smile:

2. bfjr

bfjr Guest

really nice Phillip
    enjoyed them all, color, sharpness and up close !

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent shots as usual Phillip. The Slavonian-grebe is really cool looking with the red eye and marking.

I have a question. How would you compare the sharpness of the 800 5.6 with the 300-800?

Thanks,

4. Hi Frank the 300-800 appears to be sharper wide open but I think this is mainly due to it having more contrast by f8 they are almost identical, the advantage of the 800 prime is it is lighter (nearly 2 kg) and has a three position focus limiter switch which the 300-800 does not have, I do have two quite good friends with the 300-800 in nikon fit so I have had plenty of chance to compare. A friend I know is a professional photographer actually sold his nikkor 800mm AIS for the 300-800 after trying one he couldn't believe how good it was wide open.

Phillip.

Ps I believe they have just introduced a new 800mm with the DG coatings I have heard this is the one to get as it is sharper lighter fast focusing than the 300-800 and the old 800 HSM.:smile:

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Phillip. I want a long lens and saw a link to the 300-800 posted by another Cafe member at a very reasonable price, so I was wondering. Your 800 5.6 shots are so sharp that I would not be afraid to get the 300-800 if it has the same performance. :wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.