Meagan from last weekend..

A friend of mine always offers to model (kinda) for me to practice, so we finally got out and shot some last weekend.

I need a lot of help on posing and such. At home, I have ideas in my head on what to do. But, then I get out there and that changes and I'm just about clueless on what to as far as posing, etc. With Children (what I usually shoot) I just do a more photojournalistic approach and not a lot of posing, but this is a bit different. Meagan graduated from HS last year so I just kinda did a senior picture type of thing here. She OMG'd about them and liked them, some she said she looked 'fat' in or whatever, which at first I just blew off. Then I realized my posing may have made her look 'fat', who knows. Apparently I have a different opinion on what 'fat' is. =]

Anyhow, here are a couple shots - let me know what you think.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(Used an action as part of the processing on this one - not sure that I'm 100% sold on it)

(Again, cinammon toast action here - I think it works)

(I came here knowing I wanted to use this location, but then couldn't figure out how the heck to have her stand/pose. Any suggestions on this would be great.)

(lil dark?)

Honest C&C would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Seth I think you did a great job capturing these pics of her. The thing about shooting a heavier girl, which she really isn't that heavy IMO they always will be looking for that because they are self conscious. She also has a very pretty face. I love your PP on these pics. A job well done!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell Megan she is right, (although you spelled it wrong). She looks PHAT...lol. She is a very pretty girl and I don't think she really looks fat in them. Your pictures are very nice by the way. I would think any "senior" would be happy with these as their senior pics.

Awesome job man, I have the same troubles with posing so I know what you mean. My words of advice would be to just get out there and practice. Lately I've been getting better and better at it. I really like #1, it's my favorite by far, keep up the good work.

Seth,
I think you did great.

A couple shot ideas:
-- Have her stand with her foot in the hook
-- Have her grab the hook and lean back, get a profile shot with her hair hanging down (maybe even from the stairs for a different angle)

Not sure of the safety issues about standing in the hook without being there, but just an idea.

The lighting is #1 is amazing. #2 might be a little hot for my taste, but maybe you were going for that look.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks to everyone thus far with your comments and suggestions. If anyone else has any critiques (seriously, I have thick skin and want to learn) please do not hesitate to post and let me know.

Tell Megan she is right, (although you spelled it wrong). She looks PHAT...lol. She is a very pretty girl and I don't think she really looks fat in them. Your pictures are very nice by the way. I would think any "senior" would be happy with these as their senior pics.
Hah, that's phat. Thanks for the comment.

Awesome job man, I have the same troubles with posing so I know what you mean. My words of advice would be to just get out there and practice. Lately I've been getting better and better at it. I really like #1, it's my favorite by far, keep up the good work.
Thanks Jordan. I definitely need to make more time to get out and practice. Meagan has offered to go out shooting anytime I want to so I will certainly be taking her up on that offer and hopefully get better via practice.

Nice pics, great model
Thank you, Cliff.

Seth,
I think you did great.

A couple shot ideas:
-- Have her stand with her foot in the hook
-- Have her grab the hook and lean back, get a profile shot with her hair hanging down (maybe even from the stairs for a different angle)

Not sure of the safety issues about standing in the hook without being there, but just an idea.

The lighting is #1 is amazing. #2 might be a little hot for my taste, but maybe you were going for that look.
Great Kendall. Thanks for the ideas, I really appreciate it. That helps a lot, I'll see what I can do next time I visit that location.

I agree on #2 being a little hot, I think I managed to do that in post via some actions and whatnot. At first, I liked it, but I can agree that it is a bit too hot.

Seth,
I love the whole series, beautiful work with a beautiful model. Job well done!
Kevin P.
Thanks Kevin.

Very nice! Can you share in general what you did to post-process your pictures to get the colour tones in #1, 3 and 4? Thanks.

These are great images. Her hairstyle accents the fullness of her face. If she turns her head just slightly, while still looking at the lens, this will lessen the fullness impact.

When having a model standing in a shot, NEVER have them stand with head-on hips. Turn the hips slightly, one foot (usually the right foot) further in front of the other. This stance will lessen the appearance of hip width. Have the toes pointed toward the camera, not pointed outward as in #4 as this will also change the appearance of the pelvis. There are great sites on the web showing basic posing techniques.

She's a very pretty girl, and these pics show it.

Very nice! Can you share in general what you did to post-process your pictures to get the colour tones in #1, 3 and 4? Thanks.
#3 is the 'cinammon toast' action from, I believe, Totally Rad Actions. The other two are variations of a preset that I created in Lightroom.

These are great images. Her hairstyle accents the fullness of her face. If she turns her head just slightly, while still looking at the lens, this will lessen the fullness impact.

When having a model standing in a shot, NEVER have them stand with head-on hips. Turn the hips slightly, one foot (usually the right foot) further in front of the other. This stance will lessen the appearance of hip width. Have the toes pointed toward the camera, not pointed outward as in #4 as this will also change the appearance of the pelvis. There are great sites on the web showing basic posing techniques.

She's a very pretty girl, and these pics show it.
Excellent, thanks for the advice. This is exactly what I was looking for. If you recall any of those sites showing basic posing techniques, please do share. No sweat if you don't have them, I'm going to do some searches anyhow to see what I can find.

Thanks again for the advice on posing.

I love the rustic background...where were you? THe door image is a winner for me. I don't like her stance in the last image...she looks a little slouchy...the weight goes on the back leg.

I love the rustic background...where were you? THe door image is a winner for me. I don't like her stance in the last image...she looks a little slouchy...the weight goes on the back leg.
We were in downtown Tulsa. I work downtown and drive by all of this stuff every day and am like 'man, that'd be an awesome place to take some pictures!' So I was finally able to make it happen, I dig the rustic looking stuff for sure.

Good call, I need to watch that weight on back leg business. These are things that I know before I go to shoot and then it all goes out the window once I get there. =] Gotta keep that in mind for sure. Thanks for the comments.

Wow! I love every single one of these shots! Absolutely great job!
Thanks!

Seth,

They look great to me. I don't think the one on the fire escape is too dark. You're lucky to have such a pretty volunteer to pose for you! Keep up the good work.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom