1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Meagan from last weekend..

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Seth, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    A friend of mine always offers to model (kinda) for me to practice, so we finally got out and shot some last weekend.

I need a lot of help on posing and such. At home, I have ideas in my head on what to do. But, then I get out there and that changes and I'm just about clueless on what to as far as posing, etc. With Children (what I usually shoot) I just do a more photojournalistic approach and not a lot of posing, but this is a bit different. Meagan graduated from HS last year so I just kinda did a senior picture type of thing here. She OMG'd about them and liked them, some she said she looked 'fat' in or whatever, which at first I just blew off. Then I realized my posing may have made her look 'fat', who knows. Apparently I have a different opinion on what 'fat' is. =]

Anyhow, here are a couple shots - let me know what you think.

3023352568_b3e7aa0680_o.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3022523653_822cc77be7_o.jpg

(Used an action as part of the processing on this one - not sure that I'm 100% sold on it)

3022523633_b788c6cdc1_o.jpg

(Again, cinammon toast action here - I think it works)

3023352666_f8611b52be_o.jpg

(I came here knowing I wanted to use this location, but then couldn't figure out how the heck to have her stand/pose. Any suggestions on this would be great.)

3023352642_19641f5f73_o.jpg

(lil dark?)

3021640362_361b7eced1.jpg

Honest C&C would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Seth I think you did a great job capturing these pics of her. The thing about shooting a heavier girl, which she really isn't that heavy IMO they always will be looking for that because they are self conscious. She also has a very pretty face. I love your PP on these pics. A job well done!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2008
  3. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Thank you, Debbie.

4. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    Tell Megan she is right, (although you spelled it wrong). She looks PHAT...lol. She is a very pretty girl and I don't think she really looks fat in them. Your pictures are very nice by the way. I would think any "senior" would be happy with these as their senior pics.

5. JoJo2Fast

JoJo2Fast

Nov 20, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    Awesome job man, I have the same troubles with posing so I know what you mean. My words of advice would be to just get out there and practice. Lately I've been getting better and better at it. I really like #1, it's my favorite by far, keep up the good work.

6. Cliff

Cliff

Oct 13, 2008
    Central NY
    Nice pics, great model

7. Seth,
    I think you did great.

A couple shot ideas:
    -- Have her stand with her foot in the hook
    -- Have her grab the hook and lean back, get a profile shot with her hair hanging down (maybe even from the stairs for a different angle)

Not sure of the safety issues about standing in the hook without being there, but just an idea.

The lighting is #1 is amazing. #2 might be a little hot for my taste, but maybe you were going for that look.

8. Seth,
    I love the whole series, beautiful work with a beautiful model. Job well done!
    Kevin P.

9. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Thanks to everyone thus far with your comments and suggestions. If anyone else has any critiques (seriously, I have thick skin and want to learn) please do not hesitate to post and let me know.

Hah, that's phat. Thanks for the comment.

Thanks Jordan. I definitely need to make more time to get out and practice. Meagan has offered to go out shooting anytime I want to so I will certainly be taking her up on that offer and hopefully get better via practice.

Thank you, Cliff.

Great Kendall. Thanks for the ideas, I really appreciate it. That helps a lot, I'll see what I can do next time I visit that location.

I agree on #2 being a little hot, I think I managed to do that in post via some actions and whatnot. At first, I liked it, but I can agree that it is a bit too hot.

Thanks Kevin.

10. great model and very nice locations. the first one is my favorite. I agree with NateS about how a senior would love these pictures.

11. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Thank you, Scott.

12. 130meow

130meow

Apr 22, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    Very nice! Can you share in general what you did to post-process your pictures to get the colour tones in #1, 3 and 4? Thanks.

13. These are great images. Her hairstyle accents the fullness of her face. If she turns her head just slightly, while still looking at the lens, this will lessen the fullness impact.

When having a model standing in a shot, NEVER have them stand with head-on hips. Turn the hips slightly, one foot (usually the right foot) further in front of the other. This stance will lessen the appearance of hip width. Have the toes pointed toward the camera, not pointed outward as in #4 as this will also change the appearance of the pelvis. There are great sites on the web showing basic posing techniques.

She's a very pretty girl, and these pics show it.

14. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    #3 is the 'cinammon toast' action from, I believe, Totally Rad Actions. The other two are variations of a preset that I created in Lightroom.

Excellent, thanks for the advice. This is exactly what I was looking for. If you recall any of those sites showing basic posing techniques, please do share. No sweat if you don't have them, I'm going to do some searches anyhow to see what I can find.

Thanks again for the advice on posing.

15. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I love the rustic background...where were you? THe door image is a winner for me. I don't like her stance in the last image...she looks a little slouchy...the weight goes on the back leg.

16. Wow! I love every single one of these shots! Absolutely great job!

17. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    We were in downtown Tulsa. I work downtown and drive by all of this stuff every day and am like 'man, that'd be an awesome place to take some pictures!' So I was finally able to make it happen, I dig the rustic looking stuff for sure.

Good call, I need to watch that weight on back leg business. These are things that I know before I go to shoot and then it all goes out the window once I get there. =] Gotta keep that in mind for sure. Thanks for the comments.

Thanks!

18. Mainuh

Mainuh

Feb 20, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Seth,

They look great to me. I don't think the one on the fire escape is too dark. You're lucky to have such a pretty volunteer to pose for you! Keep up the good work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.