1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Measurbating the Sigma 30/1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by GroovyGeek, Sep 13, 2008.

1. OK, so I usually don't spend (a lot of) time measurbating, but with Sigma lenses you kinda have to do it, because you never know what you are going to get :biggrin:.

I recently purchased a Sigma 30/1.4 for my D40. While you don't buy a lens like that for sharpness, my copy seems to drop off rather sharply below f/2.8. The whole purpose of this lens is to use it down there, so I am wondering... What do Sigma 30 owners think --- par for the course or send to New York for tweaking? I don't want to play the Sigma lottery and exchange for a different copy.

2852683290_9daafd5b3f_b.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2008
  2. evokel

evokel

Sep 6, 2008
    florida
  3. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

got one for my wife's d40 ..it's SHARP at 1.4...if u have any doubts by all means send it in....;-)

4. Indeed. It does appear that you have a bad copy there, did you do the test shots with a tripod? It does look like you have.
    If not I would recommend doing so before sending it in.
    I had the same lens but for Canon, it was very usable at f/1.4 if you were steady and precise.
    T.

5. All shots were on a tripod with a wireless trigger

6. Confirmed.
    Send it in mate. The results should be so much better.

7. mycom

mycom

Apr 24, 2006
    Don't confuse sharpness with contrast ! I think even at f1.4 your copy seems sharp to me - howver the contrast is lower - which is expected !

8. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    mycom is right, it looks perfectly sharp at f/1.4, but with a lack of contrast. I'm not sure what you're expecting, but it's impossible to make a lens that's as sharp at f/1.4 as it is at f/8.

To test the lens better, try taking a shot of something like textured paper so you can really see the resolution rather than contrast.

9. mycom

mycom

Apr 24, 2006
    There is an ever so slightly backfocus -assuming you had the cam focus at the red line - but that need to be verified with other lenses - could be the cam as well.

Have a look at tests of the 85/1.4 - you will also see a tad lower contrast until you reach 2.0.

My 30/1.4 behaves excatly the same why as does my 50/1.4 and 50/1.2 and....

10. Yes, I noticed the backfocus. It is the cam, it does it with the 70-200 also, it is particularly noticeable when shooting it wide-open with a somewhat distant object. I need to get around to tweaking it a bit some day, did it on my D70 several years ago.

Will do. Thanks for the suggestion...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.