Media for the D2X

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by frogpix, Apr 21, 2005.

1. I am checking every day to try and find the absolute best price on 2 GB Flash cards. Also, I am not sure what the actual difference is in the higher speed cards and whether it is worth the huge price difference. Perhaps we should have a section on here where the cheapest prices for media and printer supplies, etc, could be posted.

Steve

2. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Steve,
    Good idea. I'll follow this thread with interest.

Also, I'm ordering your book. I grew up in the Navy and husband was in WW2 in the Navy... and I'm a swimmer..........so am interested in your good book...reviews interesting on your site,

Thanks,
    Gaye

3. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    The D2x and D2hs support the CF V3.0 format. The ONLY card that supports this at the moment is the SanDisk Extreme III range. I use a 2GB Extreme III and i can tell you the wriete speed is a huge increase comapred to older cards. As i am in the UK theres no point in me giving you a link for them becuase you will find them cheaper where you are (as we brits love to pay over the odds for things!)

Cheers

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Is the Extreme III faster than the Lexar 80x.

That is what i use.

I saw a comparison and seem the Lexar 80X is suposed to be faster ????????

5. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    The 2GBExtreme III`s write in a D2x and D2hs at approx 9mb/sec (NEF Files)

A 80X Lexar 2nd Edition 2GB will do the same at 7 mb/sec

See

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7697

This is because the Extreme III`s support CF V3.0 which the D2x and the D2hs also support.

6. It appears that extreme III in 2gb version is on preorder staus or backorder everywhere. i have 2 ordered from adorama but no est of delivery. I really do not want the 4gb version as i would rather not have that much data at risk at one time.

7. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Wow a 4GB version! Thats a lot of data to loose! The 2GB E III`s are available here in the UK but you will pay through the nose for them. What you pay in dollars we pay in pounds.

A 2GB Extreme III cost around 168 UK Pounds thats 321 Dollars!

8. they are 219.00 us dollars here but cant get em so i guess the price is imaterial

9. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Wow thats a big difference! Maybe i`ll move to the US and Canada!

10. I guess, then, if 'machine gunning' moving objects is not an issue, then those of us who shoot slow moving, or still, objects the speed thing is not a great issue. Does anybody have any experience with the WiFi transmitter?

Steve Waterman

11. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    I use the WT-1 and its is very handy if your near the laptop or WAP. But if you need speed then you will need the WT-2 as the 54g service is far quicker. The WT-1 needs to be Frimware V1.1 otherwise it wont work on your D2hs and D2x, and you cannot update it unless you have a D2h to update it with.

PM me if you have any specific questions, the WT series are very well built, i had to take mine apart to fix a connector.

Cheers

12. I carry two 4 gig cards but only shoot about 2 gigs or so at a time on a single card before downloading on my P2000 if I am walking around or don't have time to sit for 20 minutes or so and baby sit a digital wallet which is how long it takes to download a 4 gig card. Also if you are worried about loosing images because of catastrophic failure, the Sandisk 4 gig cards are partitioned into two 2 gig sections.
    However, if I am shooting something dynamic and I don't want to be interupted by changing cards or downloading, I can usually get all I need on these two cards without interuption which is very nice. Using compressed raw, I get about 350 images per card or about 200 uncompressed.

This seems to offer the best of both worlds.

13. thanks for the advice Scott. My 1gb card says it will hold a whopping 43 raw uncompressed images, so I ordered 2 of the 4gb as you suggested. expensive, but if I ever get a working copy of capture installed and my photoshop plugins for raw reinstalled it will be well worth it.

14. I checked around and http://Buy.com seems to have the best (cheapest) price on 2 GB cards. Anybody do business with them?

Steve

15. Steve,
    Look here also.
    MyDigitalDiscount.com

16. Dave,

Thanks a lot. I just ordered a 4 GB Hitachi Microdrive. I'm gonna keep it in the camera and be VERY CAREFUL not to drop it. Eventually I'll get a couple of 2 GB cards. The price should keep coming down.

Steve

P.S. Which company did you get your after market brackets from for your big lenses?

17. kirkphoto.com

18. Thanks, I have some of their gear. Good stuff.

Steve

19. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thaks guys, this thread made me think about speed

I did just get (2) Kingston Pro Elite 4GB cards for my 2X, but now after reading what a tremendous speed difference there is between it and the Sandisk Extreme III cards, I just ordered two of their 2GB cards @289 ea, from MemorySuppliers.com after doing a search on Pricewatch.com for the cheapest prices. Anybody want a 4GB Kingston Pro Elite cheap? Paid 175 for it, will sell it for 150. Gonna sell one, keep one for a spare.