1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Medium format negative scanners

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by panda81, Sep 8, 2008.

1. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    As luck would have it, I have the chance to permanently borrow :) wink:)  a medium format camera (Bronica S2, I think). I won't be able to print pictures myself, so I'm planning on sending out the film to be developed by local shops. However, I was wondering what my options are for scanning medium format negatives. Cost is a big factor, so the cheaper the better.

However, I would like the option to print from the digital files after scanning, so the quality also plays a factor. I doubt I will print anything really big though (biggest size I've printed before is 8x12, and probably don't plan to print any bigger than that).

My budget is probably around $400-500, but maybe will consider spending slightly more if the quality is really that much better. Again, price is a big factor, so I'm not looking to max out this budget if I don't have to.

I'd appreciate it if people can just give me various options that would fit my needs. Thanks in advance!

2. I bought an Epson 700 recently. $500. So far so good. Epson makes another scanner that does MF that I think is around $250.
    Oh...and wait till you see the file sizes..:eek:  Believe me, you don't want to scan much MF at 6000dpi!:biggrin: I've backed all the way down to 1200dpi to get 17MB tiffs. It is cool though to see a 10,000X10,000 pixel scan! Where's my 15 foot, high res monitor?

3. photoman1955

photoman1955

Jan 28, 2008
    wa.state
    I have a canoscan 8600f and it dose a great job.I think the price was about $300.It dose 35mm and med. format.

4. usathyan

usathyan

May 20, 2008
    USA
    I have both the Epson 4490 and Artixscan M1. The Artixscan while being great - is a dog to use. it requires a lot of tweaking and such. In specific, if you dont have a lot to scan - any good scanner (Epson V700 is great as well) will do. In fact, my 4490 produces some good scans as well.

If you have a lot to scan - i would outsource it. Scancafe comes to mind.

5. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    I scan everything with a 4490. I love it.

6. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    thanks for the input so far, everyone :smile:

right now i'm leaning towards the epson v500. it seems like the practical thing to do is buy a good scanner to scan yourself, but if there's something you really want to print at high resolution and large size, then find a local place scanned by a drum scanner (i'm sure there's one in the big city i live in somewhere).

the main question i'm wondering is: is there anyone who scans MF with the v500 ever thought, "gee, i REALLY wish i had the v700 (or equivalent) because it can do SO much better!" keeping in mind that most of the scans will probably be just for web view, and perhaps prints at 10x10 or 12x12 at the largest.

7. Just don't try a Nikon LS9000. You are then spoiled forever.

8. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    My vote goes for the 4490 as well, cheap and delivers good results, of course maybe not on par with the Coolscans or Imacons but not the same price as well :wink:

9. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    The 4490 to V500 is negligible. The only real difference is light sources. V500's use LED's so you can get rid of the 30 second scanner warm up time. Keep in mind, once the scanner is warmed up, you can keep scanning for as long as you want.

So, I guess the question is whether or not 30 seconds is worth anything to you?

10. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    I have been looking at the V750. I need something that will scan 4x5.

11. The 120 holder for the V700 doesn't hold the film very flat; I'm wondering if the other Epsons are the same way.

Sean

12. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    Not sure, I am not entirely pleased with the way my V500 holds the 120 negs, but there is a solution, Try http://www.betterscanning.com/ this link for a glass carrier which is anti-Newton glass. I haven't had a chance to order yet, but I think I will.

13. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    My 4490 is exactly that way.

14. If you do, I'd like to hear how it works for you - thanks Michael.

15. I bought the medium format holder and one glass from betterscanning.com and am very happy with my purchase. The glass works as advertised, but still can't prevent slight sag. Works well with those curly Efkes.:smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.