Medium telephoto lens for landscape/architecture Sigma 150 or Nikkor 180?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Sunesha, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Sunesha

Sunesha

May 3, 2007
    Malmoe, Sweden
    I am puzzled at the moment, I stalking around the internet for information off a good border to border performance lens with a bit reach.

The two lenses that I checked out seems to be a good performancers on the paper. But the sigma even to be said be a nice lens when not used in macro shots. The shoots I want to pixelpeep is landscape and architecture shoots. Especially architecture shoots it is almost more important with nice contrast then plain resolution.

The nikkor 180mm is in nice pricerange. I also been happy with my two other primes.

My type off photos I rarely shoot with shallow Depth of field. I guess 75% of my shoots is above F/stop F8.0.

Which the reviewers often mostly show off nature or sport shoots. Which mostly use a quite shallow depth of field. I just use OOF blur as effect which is rarely. Humans are my most rare subject. Which my 35mm has become my social lens.

I am a tripod user, I setup the camera. Move around alot, wait alot for the right light.

If you have 1000 dollar budget which lens would you believe make me happy?

I checked out the 70-200 mm zoom but it is a bit to much money for a reach I rarely use. I think I will probaly get best border to border perfomance per dollar with a prime lens. I am quite new to photography. But I would like to say that I am dedicated amateur that like good performance.

2. I have and use both. If you shop carefully you can get both for $1000 used I think. Perhaps not in Europe though.

3. Sunesha

Sunesha

May 3, 2007
    Malmoe, Sweden
    Seems that can pick up 180mm used for a nice price. With a bit patience one will show up.

found a great site:
    http://pixel-peeper.com/

good shoots of almost all lenses. which you can narrow down to diffrent f/stops...

4. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    180 2.8

I can't vouch for the Sigma, but I do have the Nikon 180 2.8. Excellent performance. It just may be my sharpest lens. Pretty good considering the company it keeps. I printed a 12x18 of this and it is amazing. Lake Ellery on the Tioga Pass @ F5.6.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2007
  5. Sunesha

Sunesha

May 3, 2007
    Malmoe, Sweden
    Nice John,

Seems like your image hosting is protected. I print 17X36 alot so sharp is always good.

I am currently hunting one on ebay.. Guess I will be outbid as usual. I am aint quick enough ;-)

6. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Re: Sigma 150 2.8

The Sigma is definitely sharper than the Nikon 180. I've owned both and now currently use the Sigma. It is without a doubt, sharper than any Nikon lens I've ever shot.

In addition, with the Sigma 1.TC, it is still sharper than the Nikon 180, shows better contrast, better defoccused area characteristics and focuses faster.

Lately, I've even been using it on close in bird in flight shots when the 500 is too long and I don't feel like lugging the 300.

7. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    I presume you are looking at the tele side for isolation in your landscape yet you would like it to be quite capable as a macro. Personally I would get the 85pc hands down. You will get the best DOF out of the lot by being able to change the angle of focus. It would be good for architecture but you might need to stitch the photos due to the length of the lens. AWESOME for macro work and add a tc and you are set for some length. Slightly out of budget when you consider tc and extension tubes but well worth it IMO. Is is not an action shot type lens though

8. Sunesha

Sunesha

May 3, 2007
    Malmoe, Sweden
    I am considering the 85PC seriously. Just trying to build up nice focallengths to cover 12-200. I really want to get better lines. I done like a day action shoots in my life which was my nephew on the skateboard ramp. Which was a challange.. But I dont feel like spending my money in super fast lenses as my subjects just are very still and nice.

I just won a auction for 180mm for 450dollars/350 €.

I hope at least it will keep up about same same quality with my 35 and 85/1.8.

Just waiting about week to get all the transfers ready, the seller only took bank transfer which is not the most smooth way to do it.

Cheers,
    Daniel

9. Daniel;

Congratulations on winning the 180. I'm sure you'll like it. It's a fantastic lens.

10. Is that for one of the newer (N or D) versions?

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I also have a 35/2 and an 85/1.4, and the 180 fits very nicely with them. Here's a pair of captures from my recent trip to Florida.

View attachment 108529

11. Sunesha

Sunesha

May 3, 2007
    Malmoe, Sweden
    Not sure what model it is, doesnt see a "D" anywhere. But "D" is for flash measuring?

It seems to be same model that are tested on www.photozone.de

Either way it seemed in nice shape.

[​IMG]

12. Good deal. It's one of the modern, crinkle finish, versions... same as mine.

13. Sunesha

Sunesha

May 3, 2007
    Malmoe, Sweden
    Sweet, I got a bit shakey thought I paid too much. ;-)