1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Meet Arsenal, the smart camera assistant.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rick_reno, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Meet Arsenal, the Smart Camera Assistant

Interesting little device. Since it uses AI, I'm wondering if I could put my camera in the car, and it will drive around nailing all the shots I'm missing? It could pick me up in the coffee shop when it's done.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. I have one on order. If it works as advertised I feel it will bring functionality of various models of cameras closer together. The developer has assured me it will focus stack down to 1:1, which is what I plan on using it for. On some walks I can do 30~40 focus stacks, and sometimes more, each consisting of between 5 and 15 images. Having the ability to process the stack and save the file to the card (providing it does a good job) will save me a heap of time post processing. I also like he has done most of the testing using a D810, so it’ll crunch large files if required.

3. Will only be as good as the programmer's knowledge allows, but it looks interesting. The complete remote control from 100 feet may be worth the entry price, if it really works.

4. cool, pre-ordered

5. I'm not ready to admit defeat quite yet. I'm still waiting for Hal to open the pod bay doors! :rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 4
  6. Hopefully we'll know by early April when mine is supposedly being shipped.

I currently use a CamRanger, which I've used for many years. Unfortunately CamRanger only supports Nikon and Canon bodies, and doesn't process the files. Arsenal will allow me to use my Fuji bodies as well as the Nikon's.

7. I am interested in what you think- Richard and Phil.

8. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    (Mike) Michael Skerritt.
    It looks very interesting. It appears it has photo stacking and lens focal shift built in? I see that the kickstarter price of $150 are soled out now. Shame,. $175+$20Shipping +import duty @ 21% $ 40.95 Tot: $235.95
    Mike

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  9. The focus stacking strongly interests me.

Note that when the Kickstarter campaign launched, the estimated delivery time was January. Have any units been shipped?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Not as far as I'm aware.

This is the latest update posted

11. I'm most interested in the focus stacking too, could allow me to pick up a D810 in place of the D850 I wanted for focus stacking made easy. Hoping someone here gets one and posts a review.

12. I view it as a bit of a gamble, but I preordered too.

13. I'm sorry Nick. I'm afraid I can't do that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Call me old school, but whenever I see the word "smart" I usually run away. How does it know what is "the best photo possible?"

15. Ryan, the developer, is an " amateur landscape photographer" according to his bio.

• Wow Wow x 1
  16. I have low expectations for the “smart” features. I’m mostly interested in the remote control capabilities.

17. Another use for your iphone!

18. The way I understand it when using Arsenal in an automated fashion, it analyses the scene, comparing it to images in its database to set the parameters to give you a good exposed image. It uses inbuilt sensors to fine tune the settings based on camera movement etc.

What I like, and it’s the same when using CamRanger, you can use an entry level body and have all the settings at your fingertips. Sure, you don’t have the weatherproofing, or the robustness of the body, but the basics are there to make changes on the fly. Having the ability to process the files and store a merged JPEG or RAW file to the cameras card is what I’m looking forward to. Another nice feature is when doing a focus stack of say a landscape, it will make the steps closer nearer the camera, and expanding the step sizes as it moves further out. This was stated by Ryan in one of his posts.

19. northrop

northrop

Apr 20, 2008
    Chicago
    According to the featured video, it searches its database and sets parameters based on that. But isn't that exactly how the Auto mode works? So apart from aiding with the focus stacking, I fail to see what else it brings to the table that's worth the price of admission. Guess I'm just gonna have to wait and see for the reviews to show up, but as is, I'm not sold on the idea.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.