Meet Arsenal, the smart camera assistant.

Meanwhile CamRanger continues to perform effectively and efficiently for me — as it has done for about the past six years. (I ordered mine the moment that I first learned of its existence.)

Unfortunately the original CamRanger was available for only a select range of Nikon and Canon cameras and I am very fortunate that my cameras are among them.

However, a newer version (which is reputed to be smaller, faster and less expensive — and also to work with Fuji and Sony cameras) is planned for release in 2019.

Meanwhile CamRanger continues to perform effectively and efficiently for me — as it has done for about the past six years. (I ordered mine the moment that I first learned of its existence.)

Unfortunately the original CamRanger was available for only a select range of Nikon and Canon cameras and I am very fortunate that my cameras are among them.

However, a newer version (which is reputed to be smaller, faster and less expensive — and also to work with Fuji and Sony cameras) is planned for release in 2019.

I have also been a long time user of CamRanger, however camera bodies have now started incorporating many of the functions which I was using CamRanger for. I've not used my CamRanger for quite awhile. I will be checking out the new version when details get released. The existing CamRanger interfaces with my Stackshot focus rail, so it will have a use for as long as the software works with my devices.

I'm reviving this old thread with the hope of learning more than a year since the last message was posted if people are successfully using Arsenal to do the following:
  • Focus bracketing of macro and close-up images; and
  • Focus stacking of the focus-bracketed images.

I did the first of these successfully several months ago but haven't tried it since. Unfortunately it won't work with a Z6 without an expensive firmware update so I haven't tried it again.

Last edited:
Z6?
Or have you jumped the gun?

You know me better than that! Corrected now.

Did you not try to use Arsenal to also stack the bracketed images or is it that you tried and were unsuccessful?

I don't remember.

Unfortunately it won't work with a Z6 without an expensive firmware update so I haven't tried it again.

I now remember that it was not a firmware upgrade but a different cable. It was going to cost about $30 so I haven't bothered.

I am intending to try a focus stack with both Arsenal on my D750 and my Z6 when I can find my arsenal device. :(

You had mentioned that you're not using it often. So, I planned to contact you privately to offer a purchase price. I needed first to make sure the device would work on my phone's old operating system. Alas, it won't. Perhaps offering to buy it from you would have motivated you to find it sooner. :D

I have found it now and the battery is charging. I'll report after I try my experiment. I do understand that you are no longer interested but I want to try it for my own curiosity.

a different cable. It was going to cost about $30

My wireless remote shutter release need a new cable to work with the Z6. The manufacture (Phottix) wanted $30+ shipping. B&H had a compatible one for about $12. I was able to add a couple of other small items to bring the total up to $50+ and got free shipping.

Did not know about this one and learned of it just now with this revived thread.

Does it work? I would be interested on macro focus stacking in a D500.
Reviews please.

It works, I just haven't found that many opportunities to use it. I'm going to make an effort to give it a more serious trial this week.

Every time I get it out (which is seldom) it needs a battery charge and a firmware upgrade. By the time I get that all done I've lost interest.

It's charged up and updated now, so ready to use tomorrow.

Did you not try to use Arsenal to also stack the bracketed images or is it that you tried and were unsuccessful?

I've read back through this thread to remind myself of what I did earlier. The answer to your question is in post #211 from October, 2018.

Quick summary: I did successfully create a focus stack of five images, and it looked good. The final stacked image is saved on your phone as a jpeg and can be saved to a computer. All of the raw images used to make the stack are written to the camera's memory card, and thus can be used later to stack on your computer using other software like HeliconFocus.

Real Name
Maurie Hill
I have low expectations for the “smart” features. I’m mostly interested in the remote control capabilities.
If it’s remote control you want I can recommend ‘Unleashed’ from Foolography. I recently replaced my Pluto Trigger (which I found a bit clunky) with the Unleashed mainly to give me geo data, but found the remote to be marvellous.

Real Name
Chris
If it’s remote control you want I can recommend ‘Unleashed’ from Foolography. I recently replaced my Pluto Trigger (which I found a bit clunky) with the Unleashed mainly to give me geo data, but found the remote to be marvellous.
Wonderful group of people at Foolography. They had asked me to test their gear and provide a YouTube video with my thoughts. I politely declined because I don’t have a YouTube channel but I offered to do something on my Instagram for them if and when they want me to. The system looks like a useful tool and I have debated purchasing one as well.

I've done a focus stack with both my Z6 using the Focus Shift feature, and with my D750 using Arsenal.

With Arsenal you focus first on the closest point you want in focus, then on the farthest point, tell it how many intervals, and let it go. It creates a stacked jpeg on the phone. You need to transfer that jpeg to a computer before you do anything else because apparently it is stored in volatile memory. I didn't know to do that and lost the jpeg, but later stacked the images that were recorded on the camera using Helicon Focus. I used 10 images and it seemed to work well. You can record a maximum of 20 exposures.

With the Z6 you focus on the nearest point, tell it how many images to take and the "step width", and press "start" in the menu. On my first try I used 10 images and a step width of 2 and the result wasn't satisfactory. The 10th exposure was focused only about half-way through. So I did it again with 20 images and a step width of 3.

Here are the results:

Try1_D750.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Try1_Z6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Once everything is set up, Arsenal works well and lacks the ambiguity of choosing a "step size". But getting everything set up is a bit of a hassle. Overall, I think I prefer the Z6.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom