Meet Don(StL_Don)

Discussion in 'People' started by Phil K, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Don is Hong Kong for the Olympics, and I had great pleasure tonight to meet him and had dinner with him. Seems that he enjoyed the food. :biggrin:

D3/The Beast F/5 1/50s ISO 6400
    original.jpg

We took a walk to the waterfront after dinner. The sky was quite clear and we enjoyed taking photos of the harbor. Here's Don using the tripod for panorama.

D3/The Beast F/2.8 1/20s ISO 6400
    original.jpg

One of the harbor shots.

D3/The Beast F/3.5 1/50s ISO 6400
    original.jpg

Lovers and the Olympic Rings.

D3/Don's 24-70 F/2.8 1/100s ISO 5600
    original.jpg

I brought The Noct also and Don was quit happy with it.

D3/24-70 F/2.8 1/40s ISO 6400
    original.jpg

Don trying out The Noct.

D3/24-70 F/2.8 1/30s ISO 6400
    original.jpg

And here's one taken with The Noct.

D3/The Noct F/1.2 1/100s ISO 5000
    original.jpg

Don is a great guy and we had great fun. I just wish we could have more time shooting together.

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Those are fun shots, Phil. Hong Kong is beautiful...I especially love the harbor shot.

Looks like Don is really enjoying himself.

BTW, what did you guys have for dinner?

3. how nice that you guys got together
    i forgot that don was going to be in hong kong for the olympics
    nice shots
    i hope that don will post up his, as well

ah.... the nocturne
    incredible

4. He sure looks happy!

BTW-he looks nothing like his Cafe Avatar--are you sure it's him?????:biggrin:

5. Phil, HK is such a beautiful City.
    Your night photography is exquisite...and your pictures of Don capture his wonderful smile!
    Even with that scraggly beard, Don's a lot better looking than you'd think from that outdated avatar he uses.

I'm looking forward to seeing your pics from the Olympic Equestrian events.
    Keep up the good work, guys!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

6. Great shots, Phil. Thanks for sharing your time with Don with us!

7. Phil, these are great! Thanks for sharing them.

8. Very nice to see you guys get together. Wonderful images Phil!

9. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    What fun it is seeing photos of cafe members getting together. I wonder if there are more members there for the Olympics?

The photos of Don are great. Too bad you didn't get a photo of the two of you together.

10. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Phil :

Don is just a splendid fellow !

And so good to see you getting him to try out the Noct ! When he visited Santa Fe last year, I loaned him the 85mm f/1.4, and lo and behold, he purchased one scant months later. Now I'll be watching to see him go forward with the Noct... :wink:

Lens lust is just such a contagious disease, eh ? Hmmm... Now that I think of it, didn't I advise you to get the Noct ? :rolleyes:

As my old friend, L. Nimoy used to say, "Fascinating."

John P.

11. What's your secret, Phil? You eat with everyone you meet, but are thin as a rail. I'm so jealous :Angry:.

This is a particularly wonderful shot!

original.jpg

12. How come Phil is in Hong Kong and has met far more Cafe members than me? :frown::tongue:

Fun captures, thanks for sharing. I also loved the harbor image.

13. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    That is so cool....

Looks like fun guys!!

14. This is positive proof that Phil is a great photographer... he managed to make me look halfway good!!!

As to the Noct... I haven't stopped thinking of it since I took it off the body and reluctantly returned it :smile:
    It has that alluring combination of great IQ and a wonderful feel of quality that is seldom experienced in modern glass.
    I keep telling myself that I don't shoot night that often and don't need it... we'll see how long that excuse lasts.

It was a delight and I mean that in the every sense of the word meeting Phil and his family.
    One of the biggest treats was meeting Julian in person. He's kind of a Café star and I felt honored to be in his presence.

I'm sure my photos of the city will pale in comparison to Phil's but will try to post some when I can.
    Unfortunately besides leaving all but one CF card at home I installed NX2 on the laptop and FAILED TO ENTER THE ACTIVATION CODE!!!!
    Of course to save disk space I deleted 1.4.

Don

15. Thank you Leigh. Don wanted something simple and authentic, the kind of food that we would have when dinning out. So we had dim sums, winter melon soup, roasted goose, stir-fried beef, steamed garlic shrimp and Chinese cabbage. Desert was Chinese spongy cake.

Thank you Greg. Don has shot a lot of the Olympics and also night panoramas but probably we have to wait till he's back to US to process and post them.

Thank you Nick. I didn't check his passport but I'm sure he's the Don that we know so well here. :biggrin:

Thank you Virginia. Don is always smiling and cheerful and it's great to meet him. I will not go to the Olympics till next week so please wait for a few more days.

16. Thank you David. Meeting Cafe friends in person is always a wonderful experience.

Thank you Mitch. I hope I can meet more of my friends here in the coming future.

Thank you Frits. I am also looking forward to meeting you. :smile:

Thank you Terri. As far as I know, Don is the only member in town for the equestrian. I actually have a photo of 2 of us together, taken by my son.

original.jpg

17. Thank you John. Yes, I have to thank you for you advise about the Noct. Now I think Don will join our club soon(see his post above). :biggrin:

Thank you UF. I usually don't eat too much but when there is good company, like in Bay Area last month, I would enjoy eating very much.

Thank you Anthony. I traveled a lot in the last 12 months and so had chances to meet others. I think Don is the first one I met in my hometown.

Thank you Don. And i hope I can meet the other Don in NY soon. :wink:

18. Don, it's my great pleasure to meet you and I had so much fun last night. I hope you'll have a pleasant trip to China, and a safe trip home.

Friends, Don had tried some panorama last night so stay tuned for his posts. I'm sure there are some spectacular shots.

19. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    That menu sounds delightful, Phil. Thanks for sharing. :wink:

20. Phil, very nice series of shots you posted. D3 and the Noct, all I can say is WOW!

Looks like you and Phil had a very good time. Nice meeting other Cafe members.