1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Meet Zeus, connoisseur of tennis balls....

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Holmes, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Spent some time this afternoon getting to know this pooch so I can do a casual shoot for his owner in the next week or so.

He's a fine animal, great temperament, excellent agility, and the owner is doing a great job with this youngster.

I always enjoy meeting a new dog!

p446017919-5.

2. Great action shot...gorgeous dog!

3. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Thank you, Jen. He's really a cool dog and I think it'll be a blast working with him.

4. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Very nice capture Holmes. I do not know if your intent was to get just the face but with this handsome dog, a 3/4 profile of him running with the ball in his mouth would look absolutely awesome. Thanks for sharing. BTW, which lens/camera combo did you use for this shoot?

5. Holmes:

A very handsome dog and a great shot of him running towards you. These are hard shots to get in focus, such as yours. How did you get him to look straight at you? Was someone behind you getting Zeus' attention? Whenever I try these shots, the dog is usually looking either just left or just right of me, like they are getting ready to run right by me.

Michael

6. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Great Shot Of A Beauty!

7. kirbinster

kirbinster

Nov 24, 2007
    NJ, USA
    TRuly wonderful shot with great use of depth of field.

8. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Hi Shekhar,

This was just kind of a getting-to-know each other session. I've found it useful to meet with the dog(s) and owners in a casual scenario and let the animals get to know me and become accustomed to a funny lookin' like swinging and pointing a strange device around! Some of the larger and protective breeds can be rather suspicious of cameras or anything wielded by a stranger. I let them investigate the camera and I also transfer my rig to the owner a few times and even the more suspicious pooches generally accept things quite well afterward.

For the actual shoot, we'll have the dog freshly groomed and get the 'proper' shots out recorded before he gets in the river :)  I'm really hoping for a nice shot of the nature you described, it'd make for a great large print.

This image was made using a D200 and the Nikkor 180mm/f2.8 stopped down to f4. That lens has always been my favourite dog lens.

Howdy Michael,

These rapid incoming shots are tricky and certainly tax the AF of the D200! I use AF-C, Focus Area Frame set to wide, Group Dynamic, and Lock-On set to off. This set-up has worked quite well for me.

I did indeed have the dog's owner directly behind me, she was using one of those plastic tennis ball launchers to send the ball out quite a distance. I took a kneeling position just in front of her and tracked the incoming Zeus.

Thank you. A beautiful dog and a great lens makes this amateur look better than he deserves!

9. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Thank you!

10. AgilityIG

AgilityIG

May 13, 2008
    Iowa
    Fantastic shot Holmes! I can't wait to see your shoot with him later too!!

11. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Thank you, Marsha. Zeus is the kind of dog that's truly fun to be around and work with. Another one of those dogs that just seems to be in love with life, ya know what I mean?!

12. Oh he's GORGEOUS! I just love German Shepards! Zeus is definitely a beauty and you captured him perfectly! Awesome! Post more!

13. Lovely dog and nicely captured. I like the framing which shows the action of the dog running towards you.

14. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Thanks, Dianne. The subject makes me look good!

I, too, have a soft spot for the German Shepherds, they are a majestic and stately breed and Zeus is a fine example.

Thank you, Daniel. Zeus made it rather easy to get a nice composition as he comes straight on in - no veering to one side or the other. I could watch his eyes as he came in and was able to run 2-3 frame bursts when I had his eye. Zeus is truly a pleasure to photograph.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.