Mega Moon Tonight

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by haze2, Jun 30, 2007.

1. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    For the next 3 nights the moon will appear to be huge as it rises. It won't appear to be this big again in 2007. In AZ moonrise is 8:31 pm and I've got my hill all picked out. It should appear full and huge on the horizon for the next 3 nights. If you get a great shot I would love to see it here.

2. You're in a great location.
    I'm really feeling the need to get back to AZ so that I can see a horizon. We have so many hills and big trees around here that it is hard to see much more than 1/2 mile into the distance. I get feeling claustrophobic.

Don

3. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Come on out, you still have 2 nights left! I'm going up South Mountain tonight and then up the hill behind my house tomorrow night. The sky will be clear tonight so I am hoping to capture the moon coming up behind 4-Peaks. Should be fun.

4. Hello haze, I have been practicing on my moon shots just for tonight. I hope I will succeed. I am having a bit of a focus problem, though. My lens is not as fast as i would like it to be. What lens are you using and can you tell me hope you plan to expose it? I can't wait to see your AZ. moon.

Laurie

5. Laurie, I am not sure why you would need a fast lens. The brightness varies from location to location but it should be somewhere around f16 at 1/125 sec. The moon is very bright and it is not unlike shooting with the sunny 16 rule. In any event, put on your longest lens (with a TC if you have one) and then spot meter on the moon and take a shot. Look at your histogram and see how you did (there should be detail in the moon and not just a big white orb). Adjust as necessary. Keep your shutter speed around 1/100 so as not to experience moon movement. By the time you get down to 1/10 sec the moon will move 1 pixel and a slight bluring will occur.

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the tip Haze, I had a tough day painting today, but maybe I can muster up enough energy to get out tonight for some shots. I may even head to the Lake Michigan shoreline, that might be a dramatic shot with a lighthouse in the frame.

7. Thanks Gordon,

I will let you know how I did and will be looking for your shots. I really hope it works or I just have to wait for the next one. My problem is not the exposure part, it's seems to be I just can't get a sharp shot. Not as sharp as I want.

laurie

8. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Laurie, I can't add much to what Gordon said. The histogram is really your friend on this kind of shot. I'll be using 3 different Nikkor lenses: 12-24, 28-70 f/2.8, and 70-300 VR. Good luck.

Frank, the moon rise over Lake Michigan should be beautiful. I hope you muster up the energy!

9. Ok, Haze and others. You talked me into it. I'm going to pull out my big gun and shoot the moon tonight. Hopefully all will post their shots here, later!

Regards,

Paul
    In Escondido (If I lean over my fence I'm in San Diego).

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I came up empty, too many low clouds...but the group Chicago was playing at Northerly Island tonight, their sounds were sweet.

11. It sounds like you had fun, anyway, Frank. If I want to hear Chicago, I have to turn up my 'itunes'. I did get a couple of shots. I'll post shortly.

Regards,

Paul

12. My moon shots from tonight

The moon definitely loomed large tonight. The first two were overexposed to get the backlight on the mountain over which the moon rose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These two were more properly exposed to get Moon detail...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All taken with the D2x, AF-S 500 AFD I and the TC2E.

Regards,

Paul

13. mr2monster

mr2monster

Jun 29, 2007
    Arizona
    Now THOSE are some cool shots! My favorite is #3

I went out tonight with my elcheap-o telescope and T-mount and I couldn't get the thing to focus! I'll try more tomorrow I guess. It was kind of last minute with no planning for me because I read this thread at about 8:00pm. haha.

Either way, if i happen to get anything that did focus (probably not) I'll post them here.

14. bobarue

bobarue

Aug 9, 2005
    Louisiana
    Cool!

These are cool shots, Paul.

15. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nice job Paul!

Man I really messed up tonight. My exposures were good but there was camera movement on nearly every shot. I set the tripod up in the back of my truck to get it above some brush and other distractions. What I didn't realize was that the bed liner transfered every little movement I made right to the tripod. The shots looked ok on the small screen, but when I got them home they were all slightly blurred from my movement in the truck bed. I really should have known better. Anyway, I'm going to try again tomorrow night, but I will be setup on solid ground.

I hope the rest of you got some good shots.

16. Thanks. Sorry you had trouble. I've got a telescope, but have never deployed the T-mount, yet. Waiting until I get more time someday. Good luck if you try tomorrow.

Haze, sorry you had trouble. Camera shake is definitely a concern with the times you use on the moon. I used mirror lockup and the ML-3 remote. The 500 with the TC-2 is not a forgiving combination relative to shake. In fact the TC-2 gets a bum wrap as not sharp, but most instances of that can be related to camera shake. Good luck tomorrow!

Thanks, bobarue. Good to hear from you. I've been crazy busy for the last couple of months. Little time to play...and I know I'm behind on some questions you asked me...hopefully I'll catch up with you in the near future.

Regards,

Paul

17. bobarue

bobarue

Aug 9, 2005
    Louisiana
    Thanks, bobarue. Good to hear from you. I've been crazy busy for the last couple of months. Little time to play...and I know I'm behind on some questions you asked me...hopefully I'll catch up with you in the near future.

Regards,

Paul[/QUOTE]

No problem, Paul. If I asked questions, I don't remember? I just got finished a 50 night stretch myself. So, my brain is a little weary. I think I've decided to add the 300 f/4 AFS next along with the Kirk collar. I'll order it this week. You haven't heard of anything in the way of Nikon news I should know about?

18. this was the best i could do. i only have a nikkor 70-300mm G f5.6. i tried all kind of different ways to get the right exposure and you can't say i did try.

thanks for all your help.

laurie

DSC_0038.