Megadap MTZ11 Leica M to Nikon Z AF Adapter - auto focus any manual lens!

Leica M lenses don't adapt to Nikon Z5 as well as to Z6 I understand.

Then again, there are lens adapters to fit any SLR lens to M mount.

Nikon F -> F-adapter-M -> MTZ11 -> Z5 autofocus? :D

Edit: ah it was all demonstrated on the site.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you buy it, let us know after using it.
I'm already using the Techart LA-EA7 AF adapter for Sony with great results (same concept as the Megadap adapter). These are some photo sets I shot AF'ing manual lenses:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/russian-portrait-session-in-bangkok.308068/
https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/photo-shoot-with-faith-in-the-la-art-district.308792/

This new adapter according to other reports, improves on that older design while taking advantage of the larger Z mount. Also the Nikon Z bodies have a thinner sensor stack front glass compared to Sony, which make corners optimal for adapting M mount lenses and especially wide angle lenses including Nikon F-mount like older Ai/Ai-S lenses.

Now if only Tamron, Sigma and Samyang would start making Z mount AF lenses...

Real Name
Andrew
I'm already using the Techart LA-EA7 AF adapter for Sony with great results (same concept as the Megadap adapter). These are some photo sets I shot AF'ing manual lenses:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/russian-portrait-session-in-bangkok.308068/
https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/photo-shoot-with-faith-in-the-la-art-district.308792/

This new adapter according to other reports, improves on that older design while taking advantage of the larger Z mount. Also the Nikon Z bodies have a thinner sensor stack front glass compared to Sony, which make corners optimal for adapting M mount lenses and especially wide angle lenses including Nikon F-mount like older Ai/Ai-S lenses.

Now if only Tamron, Sigma and Samyang would start making Z mount AF lenses...
Give them time. The state of the world is hampering everyone. Although I will admit that I am eager myself to see when Tamron will bring the 28-200/2.8-5.6 to Z.

Give them time. The state of the world is hampering everyone. Although I will admit that I am eager myself to see when Tamron will bring the 28-200/2.8-5.6 to Z.
I'm not even a Tamron fan, but the Tamron 28-200mm is in my opinion, the best-in-class super zoom. I wasn't impressed by the samples of the Nikon Z 24-200mm, I think the Tamron is a better lens and can be purchased for much less. Having 28mm f/2.8 plus close focus abilities has proven to be incredibly useful. Also the 28-200mm works in the Sony eco-system due to the availability of compact primes such as the Samyang 18mm 2.8 and Tamron 20mm 2.8 wide angle lenses, negating the need of the 24mm wider FOV.

Real Name
Andrew
I'm not even a Tamron fan, but the Tamron 28-200mm is in my opinion, the best-in-class super zoom. I wasn't impressed by the samples of the Nikon Z 24-200mm, I think the Tamron is a better lens and can be purchased for much less. Having 28mm f/2.8 plus close focus abilities has proven to be incredibly useful. Also the 28-200mm works in the Sony eco-system due to the availability of compact primes such as the Samyang 18mm 2.8 and Tamron 20mm 2.8 wide angle lenses, negating the need of the 24mm wider FOV.
I agree. The 24-200Z can be cajoled into being better than it is naturally in post processing....but I think I'd rather have the better natural performance of the Tamron. Most likely the 24-200 will go up for sale/trade. I still have the Z24-70/4 and am glad i did not sell it to fund the 24-200

I have two issues with M lens AF adapter philosophy. Perhaps it all started with Sony and Techart AF adaptors, by people who praised Leica and other M lenses but couldn’t stomach rangefinder cameras.

They seem to be very noisy and shared feature of both rangefinder and mirrorless is relatively quiet operation when compared to DSLR.

Mirrorless Z cameras are perfect for manual focusing and M lenses are born to be manually focused.

There are also issues of faster battery depletion and the fact that M lenses, at least Leica lenses, are designed with optical correction for close focusing while AF adaptor moves backwards and forward entire optical cell at the set focusing distance and discarding lens optimisation in the process.

If anyone needs convincing my suggestion is to try manual focusing with RF camera, real pleasure when composition and focus happen.

I have two issues with M lens AF adapter philosophy. Perhaps it all started with Sony and Techart AF adaptors, by people who praised Leica and other M lenses but couldn’t stomach rangefinder cameras.

They seem to be very noisy and shared feature of both rangefinder and mirrorless is relatively quiet operation when compared to DSLR.

Mirrorless Z cameras are perfect for manual focusing and M lenses are born to be manually focused.

There are also issues of faster battery depletion and the fact that M lenses, at least Leica lenses, are designed with optical correction for close focusing while AF adaptor moves backwards and forward entire optical cell at the set focusing distance and discarding lens optimisation in the process.

If anyone needs convincing my suggestion is to try manual focusing with RF camera, real pleasure when composition and focus happen.
I sold my M-mount lenses and adapt only Nikon manual focus glass. Nikon lenses deserve a Nikon body! I actually don't like to physically manual focus a lens, I prefer having an AF solution even if it's slow. Megadap and Techart are leveraging mirrorless tech to allow that to happen. Also the Megadap adapter I've received has a nice feature that allows the use of the focus confirmation dot when set to MF mode when using all adapted MF lenses. I haven't taken the time yet to program in the EXIF info yet. You can select an aperture value to correspond to which lens you use and it shows up on the EXIF. So far everything is registering as a 7400mm lens! 🤣

Quick sample with the 50mm f/1.2 AI-S + Megadap + Z5:
50614419247_f5571f3fff_h.jpg
Sample images with the Nikon Z5 - Los Angeles, California USA
by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

My Z5 + Megadap Rig:
50601674322_258198c632_h.jpg
Nikon Z5 Equipment Photos
by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Last edited:
I sold my M-mount lenses and adapt only Nikon manual focus glass. Nikon lenses deserve a Nikon body! I actually don't like to physically manual focus a lens, I prefer having an AF solution even if it's slow. Megadap and Techart are leveraging mirrorless tech to allow that to happen. Also the Megadap adapter I've received has a nice feature that allows the use of the focus confirmation dot when set to MF mode, the FTZ doesn't even allow that. I haven't taken the time yet to program in the EXIF info. So far everything is registering as a 7400mm lens! 🤣

Quick sample with the 50mm f/1.2 AI-S + Megadap + Z5:
View attachment 1674071
Sample images with the Nikon Z5 - Los Angeles, California USA by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

My Z5 + Megadap Rig:
View attachment 1674072
Nikon Z5 Equipment Photos by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr
Looks pretty compact. So the Megadap device replaces the FTZ?

Looks pretty compact. So the Megadap device replaces the FTZ?
It's a bit heavy, but very well built and sturdy. It allows AF on any lens attached or the use of the focus confirmation dot when set to MF mode. I think this adapter is actually better suited for adapting SLR legacy lenses. They chose a sturdier design, but sacrificed compatibility with big barrel leica MF lenses (such as the 50mm f/.095) and ultra compact M-mount primes with focus tabs. With those lenses, I believe they bump into the adapter due to the focus motor protrusion. With adapted SLR lenses, you need to attach an M-mount to to Nikon Ai adapter which slightly extends outside the Megadap mount. The whole thing feels very solid when put together.

BTW - Techart has their own version they just released called the TZM-01 adapter. It appears thinner and perhaps better suited for Leica lenses, but videos show the adapter to be very noisy.

It's a bit heavy, but very well built and sturdy. It allows AF on any lens attached or the use of the focus confirmation dot when set to MF mode. I think this adapter is actually better suited for adapting SLR legacy lenses. They chose a sturdier design, but sacrificed compatibility with big barrel leica MF lenses (such as the 50mm f/.095) and ultra compact M-mount primes with focus tabs. With adapted SLR lenses, you need to attach an M-mount to to Nikon Ai adapter which slightly extends outside the Megadap mount. The whole thing feels very solid when put together.
I see. There are really two adapters there: Megadap-to-M, and then M-to-AI. Right?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom