Memorable Movie Lines

Many people at home practicing social isolation might be watching more than their usual amount of movies. I thought it might be a nice diversion to start a thread with famous movie lines.

I'm sure there are websites with "the hundred best movie lines" or some similar title, but let's keep this at a personal level - movies that had an impact on you for whatever reason. Include the name of the movie and the year, and, optionally, what it was about the movie that makes the quote resonate with you.

I'll start it off with an example:

"They call me Mr. Tibbs." In the Heat of the Night (1967)

I recently saw highlights from this movie and they reminded me how interesting it was to watch Rod Steiger's character gradually re-examine his narrow-minded views and ultimately come around to respect Sydney Poitier's character. I guess it was predictable but compelling to watch as portrayed by two top notch actors.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
  • From Tokyo Story, a great Ozu film:
    • Shukishi Hirayama: Perhaps we expect too much out of our children....

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Many people at home practicing social isolation might be watching more than their usual amount of movies. I thought it might be a nice diversion to start a thread with famous movie lines.

I'm sure there are websites with "the hundred best movie lines" or some similar title, but let's keep this at a personal level - movies that had an impact on you for whatever reason. Include the name of the movie and the year, and, optionally, what it was about the movie that makes the quote resonate with you.

I'll start it off with an example:

"They call me Mr. Tibbs." In the Heat of the Night (1967)

I recently saw highlights from this movie and they reminded me how interesting it was to watch Rod Steiger's character gradually re-examine his narrow-minded views and ultimately come around to respect Sydney Poitier's character. I guess it was predictable but compelling to watch as portrayed by two top notch actors.
My absolute favorite movie of all time. The acting was superb.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
“I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice. But still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. I guess I just miss my friend.” - Morgan Freeman, the Shawshank Redemption

I think of this quote every time someone close to me passes away, the most recent of which was one month ago this Sunday. So every time I think of family and friends who have gone on, I look to the skies and imagine them as birds flying free.

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it."

Movie: A River Runs Through it. As an avid fly fisherman, this is one of my favorite movies, even though I'm not a Brad Pitt fan.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail:

King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. THAT is why I am your king.

Dennis: Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Mary Kate Danaher: Could you use a little water in your whiskey?

Michaleen Flynn: When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water.

Maureen o’Hara & Barry Fitzgerald “ The quiet man” 1952.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom