Memorial Day Backyard Multi-Species Shoot

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, May 30, 2007.

1. Well, this is Washington, so we had a so-so weather day on Saturday, absolute C$&p on Sunday, and decent weather Monday. So, I did the time-honored Clean out the Shed and Build Some Shelves chores on Monday. While doing so, I noticed that I was outside the Backyard Birds Annoyance Range so I set up my camera to see what I could get. Here are a few, in not particular order.

Just a Normal Bright American Goldfinch:
    [​IMG]

Last year we had a pair of Black-headed Grosbeaks come to the feeders, we were hoping they would come back.

Mrs. Black-headed Grosbeak:
    [​IMG]

And the Mr.:
    [​IMG]

Black-capped Chickadee:
    [​IMG]

House Finch:
    [​IMG]

Steller Jay:
    [​IMG]

Too often we overlook what is right in our own backyard, literally, searching for the "far away" places that "everyone must go". Save some gas, and do your chores at the same time. Both good for the environment :biglaugh:. Me, I need to do one bit of "work-work", then off for early morning at the Osprey nest :biggrin:

2. Great series of the wee'uns Bill.

3. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I'm with you Bill! I did pretty much the same thing except no photos. Very nice series!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice little birdie shots Bill
    What you shootin those with

5. Very nice series Bill. I'll have to try setting up my tripod in the backyard while doing the normal yard work. Some great finds right in your own backyard, good going.

Louie

6. Thanks, Nick. A good reminder for me that while it is fun to chase "cool big bird bifs", these "wee-uns" are pretty darned interesting, challenging and pretty as well.

Thanks. More than once I have kicked my own behind for not having my camera out with me when I was in the yard. This time I actually had the brains to do something about it. Guess those "kicks" finally moved enough nutrients upwards :biggrin:

Thanks, Gale. These were all D200, 400 f2.8 AFS-1 plus TC-17E. I actually had some birds I wanted to shoot that were too close to focus on.

Thanks, Louie. This is certainly a lesson that I need to be constantly reminded about. Glad to hear that I'm not the only dummy to pass up these opportunities :biggrin: