Memorial day

Never Never Forget. My father severed in WWI.

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_1736-XL.jpg

Why do you have your day at the end of May? We have our Remembrance Day on November 11th for obvious reasons and I think you recognise that day too but what is the significance for the end of May?

In my USAF career, (which will end this summer), there are a few memorials that are sternly etched into my mind...

Howdy All,

Happy Memorial Day !!! Thanks To All, That Gave Their All, and to Their Families
that sacrificed also.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The gravestones at Arlington National Cemetery are decorated by U.S. flags on Memorial Day weekend.
Type National
Date Last Monday in May
2012 date May 28
2013 date May 27
2014 date May 26
Observances Remembrance of American war dead

Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday which occurs every year on the final Monday of May.[1] Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces.[2] Formerly known as Decoration Day, it originated after the American Civil War to commemorate the Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the Civil War. By the 20th century, Memorial Day had been extended to honor all Americans who have died while in the military service[3]. It typically marks the start of the summer vacation season, while Labor Day marks its end.

Many people visit cemeteries and memorials, particularly to honor those who have died in military service. Many volunteers place an American flag on each grave in national cemeteries.

Annual Decoration Days for particular cemeteries are held on a Sunday in late spring or early summer in some rural areas of the American South, notably in the mountains. In cases involving a family graveyard where remote ancestors as well as those who were deceased more recently are buried, this may take on the character of an extended family reunion to which some people travel hundreds of miles. People gather on the designated day and put flowers on graves and renew contacts with kinfolk and others. There often is a religious service and a "dinner on the ground," the traditional term for a potluck meal in which people used to spread the dishes out on sheets or tablecloths on the grass. It is believed that this practice began before the American Civil War and thus may reflect the real origin of the "memorial day" idea.[4]

Memorial Day is not to be confused with Veterans Day; Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving, while Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans, living or dead.[5]

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Really? You don't know about Armistice Day? The eleventh hour of the 11th day of the 11th month? You must be very young!
Well, I won't commit on this, but a day that happened almost 100 years ago, I had some problems remembering at once. But probably there are more days I don't remember.

Why do you have your day at the end of May? We have our Remembrance Day on November 11th for obvious reasons and I think you recognise that day too but what is the significance for the end of May?

Because its not tied to any specific conflict.

Ah ok, thank you, so Memorial Day actually predates your Veterans and our Remembrance Day.

Because its not tied to any specific conflict.

No neither is our Remembrance Day now where you see the last few surviving WWII servicemen in the parade as well as servicemen and ex servicemen from Korea, the Falklands and Iraq/Afghanistan together with non-military personnel who served in some other way. It's just that November the 11th is the most suitable day and will be for hundreds of years.

If you have never listened to the song " I drive your truck"... take the time.. amazing song that will touch your heart ..it is hard to not get choked up. It is hard to listen to, but it is so well written and hits the topic.. spot on.. I can only imagine how hard it must be.

I am photographing the observances tomorrow for out town for our local paper.

I did this image to honor our fallen.

425304_10200623198155208_1820292429_n.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom