Memories of my Ex-18-70

Ever go thru you Archive of Raw files and decide to give it another go.. Well here is a shot from Last April, I forgot how sharp that lens was..

DSC_3956.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Randy
what a great 3d look that pic has
i sold my 2nd copy for a 28-200 and sold it for an 18-200
oh well

I love mine
I have thought many times to replace it with more expensive options

but the focal range is perfect for DX, the 3.5-4.5 is not bad at all
I just try to keep mine 20mm and up

Thanks for the replies.... As for the 3D look, I can put together a Small Tut on how to do it... Real easy...

I do miss that lens at times.. But Then I shoot with the 16-85 and I forget about it real quick..

Thanks for the replies.... As for the 3D look, I can put together a Small Tut on how to do it... Real easy...

I do miss that lens at times.. But Then I shoot with the 16-85 and I forget about it real quick..

lol - do you do anything other than selective sharpening to achieve the look? How does the 16-85 compare to it? The 16-85 has a longer reach, and VR, but doesn't have a wider aperture, and so by 85mm is half a stop slower than the 18-70 at 70mm.

Here it goes...

1) Open high res file.
2) Get the lasso tool, in the options bar set it to a 250px feather (that's the max it'll do).
For web sized images try 50px.
3) Draw a rough outline around the main subject, don't be too fussy. Leave some space
between them and what's around them. This takes me 3 seconds, if it takes you much
longer you're doing it wrong.
4) Invert selection, copy selection to new layer.
5) On the new layer open levels, drag the middle slider to the right until you like the way
it looks.
6) Same layer, add some gaussian blur if you like. ( At most I do is like 4.5-6.0. Your taste will vary. )
7) Go back to original layer and Sharpen with USM..
Amt. 200
Radius .3
Threshold 0

Here it goes...

1) Open high res file.
2) Get the lasso tool, in the options bar set it to a 250px feather (that's the max it'll do).
For web sized images try 50px.
3) Draw a rough outline around the main subject, don't be too fussy. Leave some space
between them and what's around them. This takes me 3 seconds, if it takes you much
longer you're doing it wrong.
4) Invert selection, copy selection to new layer.
5) On the new layer open levels, drag the middle slider to the right until you like the way
it looks.
6) Same layer, add some gaussian blur if you like. ( At most I do is like 4.5-6.0. Your taste will vary. )
7) Go back to original layer and Sharpen with USM..
Amt. 200
Radius .3
Threshold 0

Thank you for the tip

Yea, I got to admit.. It was a great lens.. I really feel like a slacker with the VR on my 16-85. But it is so nice :)

Real Name
Bill Mellen
The 18-70 works pretty well for me. The only things I wish for are less distortion at 18mm and VR for my shaky hands, and of course the 16-85 does both of those things very well.

The distortion can be overcome with NX or PtTools, the shaky hands will get better as I grow younger and thinner :)

Both at 18mm with D300

281817865_wxUxX-X3-2.jpg

282226215_C9A6q-X3-3.jpg

I think I will keep this one for a while...

Warm regards,

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Top Bottom