Memory Card Issues - Lost Images

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by beaucamera, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Yesterday I took four shots which appeared in the D700 viewfinder.
    When I took my memory card out and put them in the reader, the images
    weren't there.
    I reinserted the card in the camera and I could no longer see them in the viewfinder.
    After reinserting in my card reader, I off loaded the images and saved the 500 NEFs I had on the card to my hard drive.
    Then I used Lexar Image Rescue 3 to see what it could find.

The program couldn't find the card in my Lexar Pro high speed reader
    which is attached to my computer through the IEEE 1394 port, so I
    inserted my 8GB Ridata 233x Lighting Series card into the "built in"
    card reader.
    Sure enough the program found the card, but it took 6.5
    hours to examine the card.
    It found 586 images, including the four I took yesterday plus several I took on Sept. 12th and couldn't find.

The question now is do I have a bad memory card?
    This on again off again image write and store problem keeps plaguing me.

Anybody got a take on this?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

2. my experience

This seems strange... very strange.

I have never heard of anything like this before. From my own experience I can only suggest that once I have had a problem were photo's taken with my D50 could not be read through my reader, they were not there. I re-inserted the card in my camera and could no longer find them there. I then noticed that my battery was almost empty. I replaced that battery with a new one, and tested (take photo, read memory card) and everything turned out OK. I have attributed this to the battery being nearly empty, and have avoided to really drain the batteries on my D50. I never had the problem since... I did not execute detailed investigation of the card like you did, so I cannot make any statements on this either. I can't recall if this was with my official Nikon battery or with my cheapo brand-less...

Long story, and perhaps not even close to your reality/problem.

3. rmfnla

rmfnla

Aug 19, 2008
    La-La Land
    When's the last time you formatted the card?