Memory Cards

Hi All, I'm after some advise. I have done a search but can't find anything. I have a D750. I'm using a SanDisk Extreme 45MB/s 16 GB memory card. My question is does the memory card make any difference to the quality of the captured image and if so what do people recommend. Main use is for still images, I rarely use video.
Many Thanks

Memory card has no effect on quality of image.
What you are looking for is capacity and transfer speed.
And of course price for these,

If you are not shooting action (sports, aircraft, birds), then transfer speed is secondary.

For my D500 I use a Sony Professional XQD G Series 64GB Memory Card and a Sony Memory Card 128GB, UHS-II SD, CL10, U3, Max R260MB/s, W100MB/s and am happy with those.

For my older CF cameras (D700/D300) I use the fastest 64MB and 128MB I could get at the time,. Still work well.

As Alex said, the memory card does not effect the quality of the image. Where some folks get concerned (myself included) is with the transfer speed. If you tend to shoot subjects where you hold the shutter button down and take a series of shots very rapidly, transfer speed can be an issue. This is often done in sports, racing, birds in flight - where the photographer may take 10 or mare images at a time. If the card's transfer speed is too slow, your camera will fill its internal memory buffer, and then slow down its frame rate to less images per second while it waits for the butter to be transferred to the memory card.

If it were me, I would probably use 95 MB/s cards or faster. However, there is nothing wrong with the card you are using. You have to decide how much capacity and speed will meet your needs.

What they said.
Transfer rate and capacity.
If you do an internet search there are usually some tested card speeds for your specific camera model.
Helps you get the best card for your camera body.
This link might help.
It looks like you already have the best for this camera body.
I wouldn't think there would be that much difference speedwise between the 16GB card and the 32GB card.

https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/nikon-d750/fastest-sd-card-speed-tests/

Last edited:
This page might help finding the fastest card for your D750:

https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/nikon-d750/fastest-sd-card-speed-tests/
Looks like the camera maxes out at about 68 MB/s, so the SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s cards are optimal. Anything faster than that would be a waste of money for the D750!

Cheers

Mike
Nice catch Mike.
I neglected to mention that.
I went through the same thing in my selection for the best card.
It does no good if the camera body cannot read or write as fast as what the card is rated for.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom