Memory trouble.....

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by DAVE VAN, Jul 27, 2007.

1. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    My oldest daughter recently graduated from college and is going to Grad School in the fall. As a gift my wife and I bought her a new Mac laptop. She donated her old Compaq Prestige 2170 to my wife. In four years she has went through three hard drives in this laptop! I was installing some programs for my wife the other night and was shocked at how slow it was running. I checked and it was still using the original 256mb of memory that came with it. It is upgradeable to 1GB of RAM. I did a Crucial system scan and saw that it uses DDR PC2700 modules at 333mhz bus speed. It has two memory slots. I bought a 1GB PNY memory module which was on sale at Compusa. I removed the original 256 and installed the 1GB. The computer wouldn't boot. If I installed the 256 chip also it would boot, but the extra memory wasn't recognized in the BIOS. I assumed the 1gB had to reached by installing two 512mb modules so I exchanged the 1gb for two 512's. Same thing. The computer will not "see" the new modules. I contacted Compaq and they told me that I have to use PC2100 memory at 266mhz. The PC2700 should be 'backwards" compatible with slower 266mhz memory and in fact states this on the package. I contacted PNY and they said that only certain lots of modules are in fact compatible. On the module is a paper sticker with a lot number. Lot number "64WKD" is compatible. All the modules I purchased have lot # 64SND on them. Even though they say on the package that they will work for PC2100 applications! The PNY techie said that the module density is different.
    Just thought I would share this here with you all in case you have the same problem.

2. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    Yeah sorry, I could have told you that if you asked me. :) Although it would have cost more, if you talked to a crucial representative or bought their ram, it would have worked right out of the gate as they are aware of this (they really are RAM experts!) and would have ensured your RAM was ok.

A rarely discussed metric of motherboards and RAM is how much density they can handle due to the number of 'chips' and such on them.. In the somewhat rare occasions where it matters (extremely modern RAM vs older machines even if it is supposed to be "backwards" compatible), you will unfortunately run into this problem.

3. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Usually I do buy from Crucial, this time I was being cheap!
    Live and learn..............

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.