Men's LAX

Z

ZBaum

You might remember my women's LAX photos from last week. Today was the first men's game that I got a chance to shoot, and the conditions were pretty harsh. I had strong front lighting (shooting with the sun behind me - check the shadows), and 10 foot snow banks surrounding the field. Combine that with white jerseys, and this shoot was bound to see some blown highlights. The first 30 or so shots I took I can't even look at because the jerseys and snow behind them just look like one big white spot. I had the D100 pegged at 1/4000, ISO 200, and stopped down to about f/3.5 for most of the game (I started out at 1/4000, f/2.8, ISO 320 and had to change when I got a chance to check my exposure). I'll be using my D70 next time, since it goes past 1/4000. The two other guys shooting the game (one using a Canon 1D MarkII N with Sigma 120-300 f/2.8, and another using a D2Hs with 300 f/2.8 VR) both complained about the conditions, and I definitely agreed. Here's one I was pretty happy with.

D100, Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 push-pull, 1/4000, f/3.5, ISO 200, 135mm

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking.

T

topher04r1

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
oh wow ... for the weather you discribed i think you did a fantastic job...

couple of ideas..... i saw that your ISO was 200 ...if your shooting 1/4000 drop it to 100 (if the d100 does that i dont remember) and go a bit further if you like to f4, you will still get good subject isolation and slower shutter speeds dont wory !

worst case senario you could throw on a polarizer and knock a stop or 2 off your shutter speed right ?

looking forward to seeing more of your work !!

Z

ZBaum

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
oh wow ... for the weather you discribed i think you did a fantastic job...

couple of ideas..... i saw that your ISO was 200 ...if your shooting 1/4000 drop it to 100 (if the d100 does that i dont remember) and go a bit further if you like to f4, you will still get good subject isolation and slower shutter speeds dont wory !

worst case senario you could throw on a polarizer and knock a stop or 2 off your shutter speed right ?

looking forward to seeing more of your work !!
Thanks Topher. The D100 doesn't have ISO 100, and neither does my D70. I shot at f/4 a little bit, but didn't like the way the backgrounds were coming out (the bleachers on the other side of the field make distracting patterns). I'm going to shoot my next game with a 300 f/2.8, which should help a bit in terms of subject isolation. I might also get to use our D200, which I still haven't used out on an assignment.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom