mention from another forum about nikoncafe

Indeed. To clarify a bit, I don't feel like the forum rules need to be changed; instead, I think people in general tend to avoid discussions on touchy or heated topics due to the desire to avoid things getting out of hand. The ability to have the types of argument I briefly described in my previous post comes from the community's desire to promote such discussion. Which goes back to the posts on dpreview. I believe this to be where the kindergarten comment comes from, in the end. The Cafe is full of helpful, intelligent, respectful people and chock full of information; however, the avoidance of certain topics could give the impression of being oblivious about the world around them, in many ways. It also explains the "happy imbecile" comment.

It seems like many members use the Cafe sort of as an escape. For them it's somewhere you don't have to worry about the ridiculous things we are required to deal with in our daily lives, and that idea is imposed on the community, whether indirectly or directly, purposefully or not. It's really about the only insult that could be attributed to this community, if you could really even call it an insult.

There are many forums where one can discuss a wide variety of topics that we have "hot listed" here. History here has shown us that certain issues become quickly heated, full of nasty comments, ruffled feathers and as such, are of no value to the Community as a whole. Therefore, such topics have been made off limits.

In a society where "conforming to the norm" is often viewed as a negative, we choose not to conform to rudeness, ill mannered discussions, nor inconsiderate behavior. Perhaps people view this as silly, that is fine. Some do still value civility and good manners, and those who do will find enjoyment in the Cafe. :smile:

I've been on the internet for a very long time, and the one thing I've learned is that there are no topics that cause nasty comments and ruffled feathers. There are just jerks who get nasty on certain subjects. There is a subtle difference there, but it's important. No one "makes" someone act like a jerk. They're a jerk already just waiting to act like one.

I've used Nikonions for a while. Gotta be one of the "in crowd". Not so here. I like it. No flaming, name calling, threats etc. I get plenty of that on a Suzuki forum I belong to. I come here to relax and learn. :cool:
MEE tooo...then I left,,,,,,,who knows might be the same Suzuki forum :-}}} :eek::eek::biggrin::biggrin:

Sooo....we are a nice polite cult that somehow forces you to sell your gear on the for sale forum and then kicks you off!!!???
My fav was the one about the Cafe being a "glass trap"

Your quote about a lot of back patting is valid, we do that here. Of course there's no hiding the fact that the Cafe is a positive, friendly and supporting atmosphere where newbies are encouraged.

There is a 'C&C' icon you can use in your header and you can also put a prominent note in your signature section. Technically C&C of an image for which a person has not asked is a bit presumptuous.

As for thin skins, we have a few folks here who are accomplished shooters who seem brittle when criticism is offered, and others aren't so. That's the mix. We all seem to bump along with the odd misunderstanding which is easily put behind us.

As for critiques, we insist on objectivity, civility & respect. Too often misunderstandings arise from poor or thoughtlessly written comments which are judgmental, dismissive and of little assistance to someone looking for help.

Hang in there, we're here to help and share.
I just couldn't figure out which parts of your post to drop, so I left 'em all in for my questions, and maybe this really belongs in the Office.

Perhaps this could easily be handled with a couple of more Icons for posts. Maybe one for "Beat Me Up Mercilessly", or a "Tell me I Suck", or best of all "I have a VERY thin skin, be super nice" ... :wink::wink::biggrin: Of course I have never had any kind of a dispute with any member, or moderator, here at the Cafe, and Rich can attest to that, can't you Rich?????

Yup. Geezers rule! :biggrin:
So true. Then again .....

Kindergarten, Happy Imbecile, Nice, No Politics, just think if the REAL world was like that ..... :rolleyes::wink:

I, for one, salute our new "happy imbecile" leaders.

As others have said, I have learned a lot from this place. I like how people can post a shot that they took and not be jumped on by 50 different people for how badly they stink.

If its not interesting, people just move on. And that, in and of itself, is a learning experience.

I still visit DPR (mostly the retouching forum, which is very civil), and have seen the poster's drivel before. He's a new member to DPR who has already alienated quite a few people. I think has more interest in doing that than in photography.

He wouldn't last a week here.

Without a doubt this place has presented the least amount of negativity about any subject I've ever encountered... To be honest its a bit refreshing and I've learned alot here.

I know I have disagreed at least a couple of times on conversations, but in the end the disagreement at least added to the overall topic and would probably help others by presenting more then one viewpoint.

Must be something about the black screen, puts everyone in a dark mood. Affects me there too. :smile:

As a healthcare professional, I realize the world is full of people who suffer from different forms of mental illness. As on the streets of Manhattan I tend to ignore those who are not playing with a full deck of cards :)

Reality check...that also includes people at DPR and the cafe ! LOL

People here in the Cafe can be super sensitive too, and some can't take simple jokes but not as extreme as what I see in other forums.

K

KohlerImaging

People here in the Cafe can be super sensitive too, and some can't take simple jokes but not as extreme as what I see in other forums.
It's true!! I feel that this forum is great! It does not matter what you shoot, you'll get the feedback that you deserve. Oh wait! I may get banned for saying that, according to some folk!!!! :eek:

-- Kevin

I love this forum. I have learned more on this forum than I have with any instruction given when I took on this hobby. Its not that everyone shares the same opinion, or avoids topics. We come here for the love of the hobby/profession. It is possible to communicate without starting an argument.

This is also the only forum that I have found that addresses equally the beginner to the seasoned professional. As far as thin skin, if you dont want the answer to your question, dont ask. C & C is just that. Take it as given and use it or ignore it.

As with any environment there are differences. Those that are seeking the debate-type forums or forums that ruffle feathers wont find a home here. Eventually it works its way out. I belonged to a forum that went bust when it lost control due to the cliques and selective monitoring of certain people. It was not pleasant and was stressful to participate in after a long day at work.

Guess I am a happy imb, Kool aid drinking, avoiding reality type gal!

I'm fine with the 'cafe. I deal with enough jerks and shady people on a daily basis. It's nice to be around nice behaved people to balance things out.

Though I do think 'cafe members should be a bit more open in regards to their opinion. Constructive criticism is a good thing.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom