mention from another forum about nikoncafe

I have frequented Nikon Cafe and other forums for several years ... I have learned more from reading comments and posts on Nikon Cafe than any other forum. I agree with the person that said sometimes the posts do not actually constructively critique a photo when a person has directly asked for this. The format of Nikon Cafe is the easier to read and search and I enjoy the flavor of the personalities that post on Nikon Cafe.

I came from other Nikons forums, and here at the Cafe', I found a nice and moderate place to discuss and share,
of all the comments on that DPR thread I agree with:

in fact I'd like to read more, always polite of course, criticism when someone post their pics, BTW I can's stand for rudeness .. :frown:

cheers, Nik :smile:

Your quote about a lot of back patting is valid, we do that here. Of course there's no hiding the fact that the Cafe is a positive, friendly and supporting atmosphere where newbies are encouraged.

There is a 'C&C' icon you can use in your header and you can also put a prominent note in your signature section. Technically C&C of an image for which a person has not asked is a bit presumptuous.

As for thin skins, we have a few folks here who are accomplished shooters who seem brittle when criticism is offered, and others aren't so. That's the mix. We all seem to bump along with the odd misunderstanding which is easily put behind us.

As for critiques, we insist on objectivity, civility & respect. Too often misunderstandings arise from poor or thoughtlessly written comments which are judgmental, dismissive and of little assistance to someone looking for help.

Hang in there, we're here to help and share.

It is no mystery that, in several occasions, I have defended with my best integrity these forums. Obviously, this is a free country and everyone is entitled to an opinion, even when the opinion is not properly based on actual facts.
Till I came to Nikon Cafe I used to be a member of Nikonians. I have been very active in the Fred Miranda website also and I used to be in the DP review forums.
You have heard my comments about Nikonians in the past, an excellent website with outstanding photographers but some overzealous and high ego moderators, although I am quite sure not all of them are. I am solely talking about my experience there.
Never a problem at Fred Miranda, another outstanding website with great and friendly photographers. DP review's forums did not satisfy me and I quit after a short stay.
I have been very happy here, where I feel like a member of a large family. We also have here outstanding photographers and a camaraderie that I have not found in other forums. It has not been my experience so far that members got heated when critique was used in a respectful manner. I do critique but I never made any claims as to be an expert at it and when I have done it, I believe I have been respectful and I have tried, to the best of my humble knowledge, to help. I could have been wrong but I expressed my points of view.
I see nothing wrong "patting the back" and using courtesy. We seem to understand that there are many newbies that have been having their frustrations because they do not yet understand and have not learned the whole photographic process. When I post, I rarely receive a negative comment but if I do, I am not going to get mad with anyone. Your eyes are not mine and your taste is not mine either and photography is very subjective.
I honestly think we have a great website and I am very proud of the whole group. Let's keep it like that.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

G

gladjo

I've used Nikonions for a while. Gotta be one of the "in crowd". Not so here. I like it. No flaming, name calling, threats etc. I get plenty of that on a Suzuki forum I belong to. I come here to relax and learn. :cool:

While I like these forums, I can also relate to some of the comments. I think the misconception is that you either have a barely moderated, rude, disrespectful, etc forum, or a highly moderated, almost utopian forum, but there are a wide range of possibilities in between. The criticism is that this forum more or less only sees the two options. I think that's where the kindergarten comment comes from. At that age you see things as good or bad, right or wrong, happy or sad, etc, and often fail to see whats in between. While I enjoy reading, posting, and learning from this forum; the demeanor of many people almost seems fake or forced, and that can get tiresome. I have had paid jobs in the past working for customer support forums and the moderation, atmosphere, etc of those compares more closely to this forum than any other forum I've been a part of. I'm not saying that's good or bad, it's just an observation.

B

Bluespace

I belong to quite a few forums many of which are controlled by a small clicky crowd of regulars who are actually quite patronising to new members. I do not see any evidence of that in here. Also there is a distinct lack of name calling, flaming, and general bitchiness which can bring a forum down and again it does not seem to be in existence here. More importantly I posted a pic up here some time back asking for help and people went right out of their way to help me and gave me tips on editing. One person even gave me his email to send a raw file to.

Thats the difference between here and many other forums , it has a genuine flavour about it with people who are friendly and helpful and thats what really counts to me.

JG

Thats the difference between here and many other forums , it has a genuine flavour about it with people who are friendly and helpful and thats what really counts to me.
Of course, it's the members that shape and give a site it's ambience and mood - the Mods just dust and clean up any mess :smile:

So yes, this is a great site - because of YOU, all of you, thank y'all for being here :502:

Until someone says something bad about god, guns or knives... :biggrin:

...and we pull those threads same as we pull both right and left wing political threads, posts with extensive biblical quotations, how to commit suicide threads, or Ken Rockwell trash threads, nude posts, troll threads, linked images not taken by the poster, posts by people who edit other's images without the OP's permission...and posts by members who try to circumvent the for sale forum rules and slip in a for sale or want to buy hint 'innocently'..or in their signature. Nobody's perfect but there's no agenda supported by the administration.

I've been a member here for almost 4 1/2 years. I've posted my share of times. Don't think I've ever had an argument with any members, though I've disagreed with a few and have had a few disagree with me. Not so with other forums where I've actually been "scolded" by Moderators. (ME scolded?????) :eek: This seems to be the only intelligent forum I've spent a lot of time on.............not that there might not be others, just that this is the one I prefer to stay on. I like the format, the attitude, and the people. And as far as the original posters comment about those of us who are older..............well, can't deny it, I guess. :wink: So what?

This seems to be the only intelligent forum I've spent a lot of time on...

If I understand correctly, intelligence is being confused with avoidance. Not saying the members here aren't intelligent, but avoiding/locking/deleting topics that can get heated doesn't imply intelligence. Intelligent folks are able to have those discussions without letting it get out of hand. ilovephilosophy.com is a great example. There was a thread the other day that initially started with a psa video about texting while driving. It seemed to be developing into an interesting discussion, and now it is gone. What is the point of that?

"Truth springs from argument amongst friends."

Less "white noise" here.

If I want to sacrifice brain cells I'll read youtube or myspace comments.

If I understand correctly, intelligence is being confused with avoidance. Not saying the members here aren't intelligent, but avoiding/locking/deleting topics that can get heated doesn't imply intelligence. Intelligent folks are able to have those discussions without letting it get out of hand. ilovephilosophy.com is a great example. There was a thread the other day that initially started with a psa video about texting while driving. It seemed to be developing into an interesting discussion, and now it is gone. What is the point of that?

"Truth springs from argument amongst friends."

Say what you will................because that's the nature of the beast.............but I don't think argument is healthy at all. There's nothing wrong with discussing a subject in a civilized and adult fashion. Even though the dictionary says "argument" is just a discussion, I find that it most often escalates beyond that on forums because of anonymity. Call that avoidance if you like...............I call it civility.

I've been posting on various bulletin boards since 1998 and to be totally honest, Nikon Cafe has the best balance of allowable/non-allowable things to be discussed. I like how most of the fellow shooters here are older (I don't know how to say that without offending old people.. lol) older = means more matured discussion.

Great forum, great people

G

gladjo

Hey! Why was my post deleted? :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Say what you will................because that's the nature of the beast.............but I don't think argument is healthy at all. There's nothing wrong with discussing a subject in a civilized and adult fashion. Even though the dictionary says "argument" is just a discussion, I find that it most often escalates beyond that on forums because of anonymity. Call that avoidance if you like...............I call it civility.

I agree that there are multiple definitions for argument in the real world, but I am saying that you can have the dictionary version of argument without unreasonable escalation while remaining mature and civil. Check out the ilovephilosophy.com forums. That's the best example I can think of. They discuss pretty much anything and everything in a productive, civil fashion.

Things usually start to get unruly when one person gets past their comfortable level of knowledge and starts exaggerating, getting overly defensive, irrational, uses straw men and logical fallacies to support their side, etc. When those involved in the argument/discussion are able to recognize these argumental incongruencies and not play into them, the ability to maintain an intense, yet civil and respectful conversation becomes much easier and much more enjoyable. This is basically the applicable side of intelligence I was referring to earlier.

I guess my main point is that due to the abundance of maturity and intelligence on this forum, I think that we could handle the occasional intense discussion/argument without letting it escalate into something undesirable.

Ricky, your points are valid, but there are many definitions of argument depending on which source you gain the definition. Of course each culture has their own interpretation as well...:wink:
The Café rule is
"Community Standards: As in all communities, there is room for disagreement and debate. Contentiousness and rude behavior will not be tolerated, and members are expected to use courtesy in their exchanges on the forum. Nikon Cafe serves a wide demographic; we want everyone to feel comfortable."

Latest threads

Top Bottom