Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by dsp921, Jun 18, 2007.

1. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    Saw this at a German car event this weekend. Almost impossible to get a good shot of it, there were people all over it and the cars were packed in tight. Not sure I'd have my $450,000+ car sitting around for people to crawl all over. Pretty cool to see, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2007
  2. Logan

Logan Guest

honestly, who gets an automatic sports car!?!?!?!?!

edit:
    i apologize everyone... GT car, not sports car, i was CLEARLY wrong

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2007
  3. Daniel Bates

Daniel Bates

Jan 9, 2007
    If you bought a $450,000 automatic sports car, you probably would have a couple of manual sports cars lying about too... :)

4. Snipps

Snipps

Oct 7, 2006
    If you ever rode in that car, you wouldn't care if it was Auto or Manual. That thing is silent when it idles, but damn it ROARS when in full swing.

5. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    It's not your basic automatic, it has the AMG SpeedShift. It has fingertip manual mode with steering wheel buttons and touch shift on the shifter lever. The automatic part only comes in to upshift at redline, downshift if needed at full throttle and to go into first when it stops. I think it's programmable, too, something like comfort, sport and race modes. I think it would be a blast to drive, even without the clutch.
    That sounds a little like an advertisement....

6. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    I'll let you guys know how one drives after I win Powerball tonight.

7. It's an interesting car - too bad when I was sitting in it I found the door sills to be too high to comfortably get out of the car (I had to basically roll out of it hehehe)

Beautiful shots though!

8. Was that at the Larz in Brookline? I missed that, daughter had a LAX tournament...Nice shots of the car, it's either that or the F1 McLaren for me, LOL.

9. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    For a little extra money you can get a Benz employee to follow you around and help you in and out of it.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Yeah, it was at the German Car Day at the Larz. My son's LAX jamboree was the day before so I had some free time on Sunday. I'd imagine the car will be there for Mercedes Benz Day...

10. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    I was planning on winning that tonight. But, you can come by and I'll let you take it for a spin...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2007
  11. OK, I need to stop drooling now. :biggrin:

12. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    First of all ... it IS a regular automatic. There are only really two types of automatics in the world, conventional autos with torque converters and sequential manual gearboxes which have traditional clutches that are operated by hydraulics and a computer instead of the driver's left leg.

Torque converters are torque converters. It doesn't matter how many technological marketing gimmicks you throw at it .. it still slips which robs efficiency. Some of them are better than others, but they are imperfect by design and cannot change.

Sequential manual transmissions are quick. Very quick shifting, no slipping like a torque converter, and control over what gear you are in at all times.

That's the inherrant problem with automatic transmissions, and even sequential manual transmissions that have a "fully automatic" mode. They chose a gear for you that they think you want. Sometimes I want to stay in 3rd and coast, not accelerate, to the next corner ... but I want to stay in 3rd to use the engine's torque to slow me down for the next corner. In an auto ... relaxing off the throttle tells it that you want to upshift ... that sucks.

Make mine a 6-speed please and make sure there are *3* pedals down there.

13. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    First off, if you want an SLR ... you don't get a choice. They're all autos. Secondly, this is not a sports car. A McLaren F1 at 2500 pounds is a sport car. A Carerra GT at 3100 pounds is a sports car. A Miata at 2600 pounds is a sports car.

A McLaren SLR at 4000 lbs is a GT car. Gran Tourismo .. or Grand Tourer .. many of what we think of as sports cars are really just high-horsepower GT cars. The Ferrari production V12 line including the Testarossa/550/575/612 and the new 599 are all GT cars. The Lamborghini Countach (the most successful poster car of all time) was a 2500 pound tube-framed sports car that didn't handle very well ... its replacement the Diablo and subsequent Murcielago are both GT cars. The Porsche 911 (993,996,997) Turbo is a GT car.

If you want a sports car ... and by sports car I mean a real drivers car that is light, suspended correctly, communicative, and can fare decently around a track ... then you have to look at the purpose built cars like the Porsche GT2/GT3, the Ferrari 360 CS, the Honda S2000, the Miata, and the Z06 Vette. Other than those and maybe a car or two I'm forgetting, everything else is a just a GT car with a stick shift (and sometimes an auto).

14. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    I said it wasn't a basic automatic. And it isn't.

15. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    But it is. It's got a torque converter and a bunch of marketing gimmicks. It's no more advanced than the automatic you can find on any number of standard production cars on the road today.

Bill

16. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    you really sure about that on a million dollar sports car Billy? Ok, maybe not a mill, but expensive anyway :)

I did read about someone in California a long time ago that filed suite against Mercedes over one of these. Apparently every time he got it out it broke down, spent more time in the shop than at his house.

17. Great shots of a superb automobile

18. Paris Hilton has one.....:frown:

19. marjuice

marjuice

Jul 19, 2006
    Norway
    That says it all..i'll have a 911 GT3 please.

20. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    Thanks Dave.

I didn't know that. And I'm kind of glad...

Ruins it for me a little, too.