Mercury

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Chris101, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    This is a mercury switch in a 27 year old thermostat. The new bellows lens was used to correct any perspective effect. Lighting was from the hall light.
    [​IMG]

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Ah, those good old mercury switches.....nice shot.

I just replaced a decent digital with one that automatically switches from cool to heat....I'm really so lazy and decadent....here in California you can go to bed when it is still warm enough for cooling, and then in the middle of the night it gets too cold and we need the heat....

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice shot Chris,

Ohhhh yeah remember these well.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks y'all! I'd like to catch it sparking, right at the moment of opening. And yeah, it's filthy! It has been in a box on the wall in the hall since 1979. Where did all the dust come from? I'm trying to figure out what element to go after next. Something exotic...

ps, mercury is actually quite exotic. Coincidentally it is the 100th aniversary of E=mc^2 and the best explanations of why mercury is liquid involve relativity.

6. Callie

Callie Guest

Hi Chris
    Thanks for the welcome
    Great dof and exposure here on this strange, for me, switch. I love macro too and this is a neat shot, as they say in English, I think. The thinking is not about the pic, it is about the English, which is not my home languge.

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Callie! The 135 bellows lens I used is very good at DOF! I'm glad you liked it and your English is better than many American's ... I think. :wink:

8. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Neat picture. I remember those.

I don't know if this would work, but maybe you could somehow use the switch itself to trigger the camera to produce the flash you mentioned.

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ha! I'll bet you are right, however that particular switch controls the HVAC in my house. It's nice right now in AZ, but winter starts next week.