Merrit Island now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mitchell, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Is it worth a trip to Merrit Island now? The web site clearly states that summer months are less than ideal. I'm wondering if it will be a waste of my time or is it just less spectacular.

I will be taking my 7 year old son to the Kennedy Space Center next weekend. We are both amateur photographers and would love to try our hand in the Merrit Island Preserve. I'm just not eager to walk around there and roast if there is no visible wildlife!

mitch

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Merritt Island WLR is quiet right now.
    However it is worth the trip. You don't have to walk around you can shoot from the car :>))

Viera Wetlands is a bit quiet also. But still alot to find. Again you can drive around...

The Port at Cape Canaveral always has pelicans and at times dolphins jumping when the cruise ships go out.

So still lots to do and see even in the slower hotter months.

Brevard Zoo is always a nice place. Small Zoo. Just east of the Viera Wetlands.

St Augustine Alligator farm has a great Rookery. But is outside. Also many other photo ops in there. Great exibits.

Have a wonderful time.

You will love the Space Center. I do anyway.

3. Gale,
    Thanks for your kind reply. I guess we will try MIWLR early in the morning. Any tips for us other than the 7 mile drive?

mitch

4. Mitch, I think I'd almost rather do Viera than MINWR. The last couple of times I've been out to MINWR there has been little activity. Viera always seems to have something going on. Gale said she saw the eagle the other day. I've seen Caracara, Osprey and kingfishers the last few times I've gone. Viera seems to never disappoint.

5. I'll have to look into Viera. I've not heard anything about it.

I live in Clearwater and rarely get over to the east coast.

Thanks for all the advice.

mitch

6. huskey8

huskey8

Feb 22, 2005
    Mitchell

I live to the south but have been to both areas a few times Kevin is right Viera always has something going on. Get with Harry B he is there almost everyday and can give you daily update. It is a lovely place try not to hit it just at one specific time of the day I know it is awful hot right now but different species have different movement patterns. The beauty of Viera is that you can drive around in your air-conditioning and not get out until you see a bird. The entire area is target rich including the water hazards on the golf courses on the way there. Early am is always good. Hope you and your son have fun. here is a link with some basic info

http://www.cfbw.com/news502.shtml