Merritt 2 - Proposed Shooting Schedule

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by Flew, May 22, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I talked to VR Gale VR tonight, and we have put together the following tentative schedule. Let me know what you think.

5/29 (Sunday) - Janie and I will arrive late in the evening (approximately 9:00) at Cocoa.

5/30 (Monday) - Get up early and go shoot at Viera. Maybe go down to Sebastian Inlet in the afternoon.

5/31 (Tuesday) - This is up to the group, but probably go to Blackpoint early. Afternoon, back to Viera??

6/1 Wednesday) - Kind of up to the group. We can discuss on Monday and Tuesday. Could go to St. Augustine to the Alligator Farm, or any of the other shooting spots. I'm flexible.

6/2 (Thursday) - Drive down to Jensen Beach very early and shoot with Harris and Birger Peterson.

6/3 (Friday) - Drive up to St. Augustine very early and go to the Alligator Farm (this is the only day that Harris can go up there with us).

6/4 (Saturday) - Go to Viera early, then I'll be going to Janie's family reunion in the afternoon. The rest of the group is on their own from this point. ;-)

6/5 (Sunday) - Return to Huntsville. :cry:

If you think that you might come for one or more days, please reply here (or send me a PM), so we can get the group organized.

(Only one more week!!)

2. Frank,
    I'll probably come Monday and Tuesday. I'm debating about Friday. Then the following Sat is possible, too.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Sounds great to me Flew...

Kevin look foward to see, meeting you.

Should be a good time.

Frank, I will foward this to Doug and give him my phone number and see what he would like to do. See if he has any input also.

Thanks.

Great talking to you :>)))))

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Frank,

Message sent to Doug..Well keep you posted.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gale,

Thanks. Just 6 more days.... :wink:

6. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Frank,

I've been to Viera and Black Point this past week. First the bad news.

Weather: it will be much hotter than your last visit. Figure high 80's or low 90s.

Bug population - Booming at the wetlands, not as bad at Black Point but still much heavier than your last visit. Bring bug juice.

Bird Population - Very, Very slow. The migratory birds are gone and its mating and nesting season for the all the egrets and for the Little Blue, tri-colored and green herons. Most of the glossy ibis and wood storks have left. On my lat visit to Viera I did see GBHs, a limpkin, Moorhen chicks, 2 pair of black bellied whistling ducks, and a night heron. The good news there are some auxiliary cells just above the entrance to the water treatment plant (Mike and i shot there on the last day of the first shoot) and they are busier and have great egrets, snowy egrets, GBHs, and tri-colored and green herons. I didn't see the eagle on this trip but he made an appearance the week before.

Black Point today was much slower than our last visit but I managed to get a couple of hundred shots off. They are photo ops but they are not as numerous or as convenient as a few months ago.

The good news is that the St. Augustine Rookery is very, very active. The Great Egret chicks are about fully grown but the tri-colored herons and snowy egret eggs have begin to hatch. The wood storks also have chicks. The cattle egrets and the little blue herons have just begun nest building and mating. Spoonbills also appear there regularly. If you want flight shots the rookery is the place. Its busier than the Orlando Airport.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Harry,

I knew that it would be hot, hot, hot, and I plan to bring a couple of gallons of sunscreen. 8)

Sounds like we need to go up to the Alligator Farm twice. We can meet at Viera Monday morning and then plan our agenda for the rest of the week then.

Sound reasonable?

Thanks,

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Frank,

A couple visits sound reasonable for sure to me. Harry explained to me that the first day we will be so overwhelmed, we won't know what to shoot first or which direction.

OMG Frank can you imagine TOOOOOOO many birds to shoot.

Woooohooooo

Lets all stay there and shoot everyday :>))))) hahahaha

I think I am going to move :>)))

9. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Frank,

I would say go up to the Alligator Farm as early in the week as possible and then see if and how amny times you want to go back there.

I'm retired and I live here so I can meet with you anytime you want. :D

10. Sounds like a plan. You ready for sandhills?

Have only seen one chick the last two days. I am nervous that one may have been taken by a predator or some other reason. Hopefully it was just sleeping in the tall grass both times I passed them.

Look forward to seeing Birger again.

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Harry,

I agree on the visits to the Alligator Farm, but I still want to meet at Viera the first morning if that is OK with you. It will give all the other folks a chance to meet at a common location, and then we can decide where to go from there.

Is that OK? I'm very flexible if you have a better plan.

Harris,

I'm ready for the Sandhills for sure. Don't have any good pics of those guys. I too am looking forward to meeting and shooting with Birger.

Gale,

Too many birds to shot?? Can't happen. 8)

WoooooooHooooooo is right. ;-)

12. We're supposed to get a cold front tomorrow. The high is only supposed to be 87 rather than the 91-92 it has been. The humidity is getting rather high too so it will be kinda sticky. Of course, on the coast it is a little bit milder than here in Orlando. (If that's any consolation.) :roll:

13. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida

14. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Frank,

Did I mention that at the Rookery you get real close to the birds. I got this shot with my 24-120

[​IMG]

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Harry,

24-120??!? You meant 200-400, right??

Holy Cow!! Looks like I'm going to need my 70-200VR for these trips. 8)

16. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    I would love to make it for a few of the shoots too!
    What time will you all be meeting on Monday AM in VIERA?

17. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    NOOOOOOOOO FLEWWWWW

24-120 VR VR VR VR lololol

Yes you can use mine also.

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Flew

I will bring my sigma 28-135 w/macro also.

Takes nice pics.

19. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Trish,

We would love to have you join us. We will probably be at Viera between 6:30 and 7:00-ish. If you need detailed directions, check out the web page from the first Merritt session back in Feb:

https://www.nikoncafe.com//merritt/merritt.html

If you need more than that, just PM me and I'll give you my cell phone numbers.

Hope to see you Monday!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  20. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    Hi Flew,
    Great! I hope to be there. I don't need directions..I am the guilty party who took Harry there the first time! I am a friend of Harry B's; I live about a half hour south of Viera...see you there..!