Merritt II - Wet Birdies

As everyone can see from the shots already posted, we had a great time, and got a ton of great shots during our trip last week down to the Merritt Island and St. Augustine areas in eastern Florida. It rained virtually every day, but we didn't let that stop us from shooting.

Here are some of my first shots from the Alligator Farm in St. Augustine. When we got there, there was a steady drizzle. I mounted the SB-800, put a towel over my cam and lens, and went hunting for birdies. Most were taken with the 70-200VR.

BTW, I've looked at the posts from all of the other participants, and have to say that everyone did a great job. There were 50 posts by the time that Janie and I got back last night, and I'm going back out of town tomorrow for the rest of the week, so I'll just say, great job everyone!! We had folks there that had just gotten new cameras, and they did as well as the more seasoned vets. I greatly enjoyed meeting up with everyone, including the new folks. I can't wait to do this again!!

Tricolor Heron:
24203405-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Tricolor w/babies:
24203403-O.jpg

Snowy Egret:
24203395-O.jpg

Another Snowy shot:
24203398-O.jpg

Great Egret:
24203400-O.jpg

Cattle Egret (in mating plumage):
24205343-O.jpg

Wood Storks (HarryB, Backdoctor, and Flew....;-)):
24207159-O.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Those are great (The Great Egret is my fave!)...Didn't you just LOVE the Alligator Farm in St. Augustine! It's amazing how many birds are congregated in such a small area...Can't wait to see more shots when you get to posting them!

G

Gordon Large

Hi Frank -

All great shots. IMO the first wins the prize for artistic merit, but the stork shot wins best in show. Those guys are much uglier (if that's possible) - but make better photo subjects - when they are drenched. I'm really looking forward to seeing many more shots from you.

It was a great outing! Many thanks for setting it up. When is the next one? I want to mark my calendar now! Great as the birds were, meeting everyone in person was better. What a group! Say "hi" to Janie.

Gordon

Great Stuff Frank,

Love that pic of the trio :>)))))))

Thank you and Janie for everything.

Great Bar-B-Que and Being out at the beach.

Was a wonderful time, great folks and great photo ops.

Hi Frank,

It was a pleasure meeting you and Janie. Your wet birds are fantastic, and a great tribute to the rainy weather you endured.

Hope to be a part of the next shoot here...and hopefully next time I won't get sick and have to bow out.

Trish,

It was very nice to meet and shoot with you. Your earlier post had some very excellent shots. You obviously know what you are doing. Sorry that you missed the last session. It was great, as usual.

We will definitely do it again, probably in the fall. Can't wait to get the group together again. I hope that Mike Mac, David Mutter, Richard Fleet, Gay Johnson, and Jim Fenton can make it this time. You will really enjoy meeting and shooting with them.

Regards,

Cool shots Frank,

that great Egret looks like it's trying to lift a big ol wet blanket! Hey, pencil me in for a fall session!!!

Cool, as you know, I'll be a local by then

The sale of the lake place is moving right along, and not a day goes by without my giving at least some thought to what it's going to be like living down in Jensen Beach in the winter!

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
I knew it was worth waiting to see what shots you had. These are GReat!
I had heard about your dillegence in the weather. It paid off as these are great captures in a way seldom seen.
sorry I could not be there.

Bravo Frank ...

Stellar shots and very well composed.

My advice, keep doing it and try to ease a little on the fill flash.

You have presented them very well. Be proud

Re: Bravo Frank ...

Boobie Joe said:
Stellar shots and very well composed.

My advice, keep doing it and try to ease a little on the fill flash.

You have presented them very well. Be proud

Thanks Yves. I used the fill flash extensively for the first time on this trip, and still have a lot to learn about getting the most out of that set-up. I appreciate your feedback.

Latest threads

Top Bottom