Merritt III Announcement

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by HarryB, Nov 8, 2005.

1. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    We will be having the Merritt Island III shoot during the period of 2/7/06 – 2/13/06. The shoot will include a number of the best wildlife shooting locations on and around Florida’s Space Coast. This is a prime time of the year to shoot in the area as the migratory birds are present and the rookeries are just beginning to become active. Some of the birds shot at past shoot includes but not limited to: herons (great blues, tri-colors, little blues, greens, and night herons); egrets (greats, snowys, cattle, and the uncommon reddish egret); limpkins; ibis (white & glossy); anhinga and cormorants; ospreys; crested caracaras, bald eagles, hawks (broad-winger and red-shouldered), terns, ducks (black-bellied whistling ducks, blue winged teals, mallards, northern shovelers, grebes), stilts, yellow legs, shrikes, killdeers, pelicans, roseate spoonbills, sandpipers.

The shooting locations that I have checked out so far include:

The Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge (Blackpoint Drive) http://www.nbbd.com/godo/minwr/

The Viera Wetlands http://spacecoastbirding.com/#viera

Sebastian Inlet http://www.floridastateparks.org/sebastianinlet/default.cfm

The Blue Heron Wetlands http://spacecoastbirding.com/#heron

The rookery at The Alligator Farm in St. Augustine http://www.alligatorfarm.com/

Also under consideration are

The Orlando Wetlands http://spacecoastbirding.com/#wetlands

Pelican Island http://www.fws.gov/pelicanisland/

The rookery at The Gator Farm in Orlando

This is a great opportunity to meet with other photographers and shoot in some of the best wildlife locations on Florida’s Atlantic coast.

The best airport to arrive at is the Orlando Internatonal Airport. It’s about a 45 minute drive from there to Melbourne. There is a closer airport in Melbourne itself but fares into Melbourne are usually much higher than flights into Orlando.

I will be arranging group rates with one of the local hotels/ motels in the next two weeks. I would expect the room rate to be around $55-$60/night.

Everybody who has attended one of the shoots in this are in the past had had a great time and has returned home with some incredible photographs. Here are some links to my own galleries from past shoots:

http://behret.smugmug.com/gallery/578649

http://www.pbase.com/hpb/nikon_forum_shoot

If you wish to attend PM me or post here. I will be providing updated information on the shoot as I get more info.

2. Woo hoo! I'd like to encourage anyone even remotely considering coming to PLEASE COME!!! I attended the get together in May and not only had a great photographic experience but have made some great friends in the process. It's really nice to meet others who share the same passion and get the opportunity to share time together shooting, laughing, making new friends and just enjoying!

I'll go out on a limb and promise you won't be disappointed! Ask any of the others who have attended previous get togethers and I'm sure they'll say the same.

Look forward to meeting new friends and shooting with old ones!

3. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Doggone!!! Those dates just don't work for me. Would sure like to go on this adventure you're planning. Will have to wait until next time...Have a great one and don't forget about the west coast of Florida in the future.

Gaye

4. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Gaye,

Could you make it over for the tailend of the shoot? Its not required to be there everyday.

I hope to get out to the gulf coast some time next year because you have such great photo ops over there. The local folks are pretty nice too. :biggrin:

5. That's a shame, Gaye. I was really hoping you'd be able to make it. As Harry says, do you think you might be able to make it for even one of the days? I know it's a bit of a drive for you, but we'd still love to have you there.

6. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks for thinking of me. I'm putting those dates into the 'hopper' and I'm certainly going to try to work something out. I'll get back to you as the time gets closer. Much depends on our company schedule too.

I'll sure try.

Thanks again,

Gaye

7. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Kevin,

I'll go out on that limb with ya. I have never had any visiting shooter go away disappointed from this area.

8. Humm, not sure I would want to come out to see all you Easties.. :Shocked: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Seriously, I am not sure I could come out to the east coast in February... Will have to look into the schedule here at work...

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Actually Eric,
    February can be hostile weather at times.

I prefer the late May myself. But since I live right here if the weather is ok I can go and if not I can wait.

Tough to travel long distance and be hit with sometimes a hard freeze here.

But the way weather patterns have changed so much. Who knows what to expect anywhere.

Do hope you will join us one of these days though. We do have fun and some really great photo ops. Great get togethers.

10. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Eric,

If you could free up some time to make it you wouldn't regret it. The shooting at the first shoot at the same time of the year was incredible. What really makes it special are the folks you get to shoot with. You won't ever meet a nicer group of folks.

The weather is usually perfect. Don't listen to Gale. She has the thinnest blood of any mammal I've met. :biggrin:

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Lol@harry

12. Well, since I missed I and II because you folks just refused to make them at times I could come, I'll start looking schedule wise for next February. I would, however, like to put in a huge plug for the West Coast. We were on the West Coast last June, hit Ding Darling on a Drive-Through and then down to Naples and South for a couple of days into the Everglades and the Islands. Just incredible. If anyone is going from the West Coast (of the US), I would really recommend trying to get a couple of days on each coast (of Fl). It really doesn't take long to drive across from East to West :smile:

Thanks for the update Harry, you can bet I'll get my tookus out there one of these days......even if Frank and Harris do show up :wink:

13. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Bill,

Definitely look at that schedule and get your butt out here. The shooting should be incredible.

Those of us who did the Reznick workshop at Sanibel know how great is over on the Gulf side too but its a good 4 hour plus drive and would be a bit of a stretch to cover both coasts in one shoot. I would love to see someone arrange a shoot on the gulf side at a later date.

14. Harry I think I am in I should be at the tale end Thursday thru the following Tuesday unless I can rearrange work and family obligations. Looking forward to it already now if we just schedule weather like we had last year it would be perfect

15. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Harry et al,

I could help with the 'gulf coast shoot'. We have Ding Darling, Corkscrew, Venice Rookery and Bill Dewey mentioned the Everglades. I have not been down there but he could give us some ideas about that area. I know there must be other arenas but I'd want to figure that out later.

So Keep that in mind and we'll go forward when the time comes. I don't know how many folks live on this side of the state ( I think Joe lives in Tampa) but sure would be a great idea.

Coming during the tourist season would be awful and very expensive so perhaps next November 06 --about the same time we did the Ron Reznick workshop..I think that's before the rates go up and the streets fill up with snowbirds' cars... and the bugs shouldn't be bad in late November...

Anyway, definitely something to plan on in the future and I'd be happy to help in anyway I can...and I live a few miles from the big airport so I could help pick people up also.

Gaye

16. See you guys should come out here to the West Coast since I know some of the spots Art Morris goes for his LaJolla Workshops...

Brown pelicans in breeding plumage, tame shore birds and a great place for ducks ........

17. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Fantastic Mike. I can't wait to shoot with you again.

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Eric,
    I truly wish I could come out to california and the west coast again. Oregon and Washington.

Not a happening thing though. :<((((((( Very beautiful there.

19. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Harry -

That's great news, and you can count me in. I've got some serious negotiating to do with Terry about how long I can stay for, but I'm sure there is something she wants bad enough......:wink: Will you need to know exact dates when you negotiate with the motel? I'm still ROFLMAO about your comment about Gale. :biggrin: Sorry Gale, no offense and looking forward to shooting with you again. In fact, with all Vierans and aliens from other parts of the world.

Gordon

20. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Yeah!!!!! I shouldn't need exact dates yet. The hotels/motels here have an occupancy rate under 50% right now so they should be happy to get some business. I should know more ater I talk to a few. I just want to get a better ideas of #s before I start talking. I got 2-3 folks from Dgrin who want to join us so far.