1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Merritt Island and Cades Cove for Thanksgiving....help!

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by sommer, Sep 21, 2008.

1. I've never been to Merritt Island before, so I'm really looking forward to visiting there on our November trip south. Any recommendations for what I might see there the week of Thanksgiving? Where should I focus my time? We'll have one afternoon there and then the next full day.

We'll be in Cades Cove the day after Thanksgiving and possibly the day after that. (I suppose we have to come home some time!) Will I have completely missed the fall colors by that time? We've done the Abrams Falls hike and biked the main paved loop on a previous trip, but I've just had major surgery, and I'm not sure I'll be up to something so strenuous by then. Any recommendations for easy hikes or really flat bike trails?!

Thanks for any advice you can give!

2. MERRITT ISLAND: I'm sure that there's others that know the place more then I do. But, I enjoy the BlackPoint Wildlife Drive and Bio-Lab Road for the birds and 'gators.

CADES COVE: The colors usually peak the third or fourth week of October, so they should be long gone by Thanksgiving. The Smokies are still a great place for photos. Get Bill Campbells book The Smoky Mountains Photographers Guide. It breaks the park down by area, and by season for what/when to photograph.

3. Thank you! That book sounds perfect--I'll check it out for sure.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.