Merritt Island Ospreys

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Dec 12, 2005.

1. A few weeks back I made a pit stop at Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge to check out the action. Harry has mentioned that on the way in there's an Osprey on every pole, practically. On my way out, I counted 6! This was one of them. I just pulled over on the side of the road and shot with my D2x and 300/f4 AFS + 1.7tc. These were handheld. There's only a few pixels trimmed off the edge. I thought they were pretty sharp. Must be getting better at handholding! :wink:

510mm equiv, Aperture priority, ISO 250, 1/1250, f6.7

[​IMG]

Here's looking at you!
    [​IMG]

2. Very nice images Kevin. An excellent shots under any circumstances but handheld, very nice indeed.

3. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

Excellent again Kevin.Thats a steady hand you have there.Ive had my 300 f/4 about 4 days now and you were correct,I love it.

4. Exceptionally well done Kevin

Now I have some idea on what to look forward to when I get down to the Merritt III in Feb. Until we get down there Kevin, keep the Spoonbills, Eagles and Owls in check. I want pictures of those three birds especially but I feel I will be in for a heck of a hunt.

5. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Those are great Kevin. I wouldn't have thought they were handheld if you hadn't said something. You must not have had too much coffee that morning.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Kev,

You gotta stop posting these great shots after I go to bed. I almost missed them. :rolleyes:

These are great. I'm totally amazed at how well you do hand held. I can't shoot my 70-200VR that well hand held. :wink:

Melissa,

There will be tons of birdies down there in February. I can't promise Owls (I'd like to get some of them myself), but Ospreys and Spoonbills should be plentiful. :smile:

7. Just gorgeous shots of a magnificent creature the eyes are just riveting

8. Much appreciated Louie! Hope you can make it back for MI3!!

Hi Pete~glad you're enjoying the 300! It's probably the best investment that I've made. I use that lens every time I go out. It never disappoints!

Thanks Melissa! No problem with the Rosies, eagles hopefully will cooperate, but don't know about the owls. The only place I've seen them here is at the Audobon Society place that's tentatively on the schedule for MI3. Of course Harry did post one shot of an owl at Viera but then again, I'm sure every bird known to man has appeared there and he has a shot of it! :redface:

9. Thanks Chris! Actually I think it's the coffee that helps keep me steady! :wink:

10. Ok...I'll try to accommodate! :wink:

I'm seeing marked improvement in my handheld shots. Not sure why but I won't complain. Wish the % would increase but in time... Probably be shaking like a leaf if I ever see that eagle in "the tree".

11. Kevin Are you sure you actually have a job???
    Seems like you are out shooting way more that someone with a real job..:confused: :confused:

Kidding.. Gotta love those intense eyes of the osprey...

12. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Good shots Kevin. Its really amazing driving into Balckpoint and seeing all those ospreys perched along the poles.

13. Thanks, Mike! That's what I really like about shooting these birds. It's great when they make eye contact and stare you down! That and those claws!!! :eek:

14. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Ok now your starting to get to me!! :Curved:

HANDHELD!!

Excellent !! :biggrin: :wink:

15. Hey Eric! Actually, yes, I'm sorry to say, I do have a real job that I spend M-F at. These were from a few weeks ago and I haven't been out since. Kind of going through withdrawals. Not sure I'm gonna make it out yet before the holidays, either. :frown:

16. Kevin these are great! You are very consistent with the D2X and the 300/4 combo. I am impressed.

17. Hi Harry! Yeah, it's fun watching the posts on the way in. Kinda get a crick in the neck though. :wink: Figured I'd tempt those still on the fence about Feb. :smile:

Ha, ha, ha, Ben! Like you should talk! Haven't ever seen a bad shot from you yet! :tongue: If you're gonna keep raising the bar, you have to expect us to react somehow! :wink: Glad you liked them.

18. Hey Brett! (Your comment slipped in there without me seeing it!)
    Thanks for the kind words. I'm finally seeing more and more consistant results. It has taken many months of practising but I'm finally getting pleased with some of these shots. Gotta keep practising though as there are too many wonderful examples posted here daily that keeps up the incentive to improve.

19. Good captures. Love that second shot with Osprey looking right at the camera. And you seem to frequently get a very "clean" look that I like --- you make good use of that great Florida light !!
    BTW your great birdie pix are also making me want that 300mm f4 really, really badly!!! Maybe next year.....

20. Nice and sharp for that combo, Kevin. Well done! Can't wait for spring when those guys come back to this neck of the woods. I've spotted a nice nest that should be good if its still in use next year.