1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi all you Floridians and Alabamiams -

No fair. You snuck in Merritt v2.5 without letting anyone know. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I would really like to come down before the holiday season gets started - October or early November - and get together with as many of you as possible. Weekend or weekdays, doesn't matter to me. Since you all see or talk to each other all the time, any volunteers to organize some dates that work for you? I bet you would get other Northern folks interested too.

l hope you can find some dates that work. It would be a lot of fun. :smile: :smile:

Gordon

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Come on down Gordon...

October...oh it is october ):>>

Got a tropical something coming in right now. Don't come this week ...LOL

Would like to get a Meritt 2.75 going :>))

How about it guys.. Lets go shootin.

3. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Gordon,

I'm free most of this month. The first week of Nov. my son will be on leave from Iraq and visiting us so I'll be busy then. Other than that and Nov17-19 (our local wildlife festival) I'll be free.

If you need a place to stay I have two spare bedrooms in my house.

4. Count me in! I'm available anytime as I have no life otherwise! :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, I'd be happy to come over and meet up. It's always a blast. I'm kind of curious to see how busy it gets as it begins to get colder up north.

Weekends are usually best but I've got enough vacation to burn yet so midweek could work as well.

Let me know.....

5. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Keep me posted of the dates and plans and perhaps I could work it out. It's 'iffy' but perhaps possible..don't count me in just keep me informed and I'll try.

Thanks,

Gaye

6. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    I'll probably be down in Jacksonville, FL for Thanksgiving. I was thinking of heading further south to Merritt the weekend after T'giving. I'll probably stay and shoot until the Mon or Tues after T'giving.

7. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi folks -

Time to get serious about scheduling Merritt v2.75 (thanks for the name, Gale). The two best weekends for me would be Oct. 22-23 or 29-30. I can't come earlier and Harry can't do early November. After that it starts to get real hectic because of the holidays. My plan would be to fly from Philly early on a Friday morning and return late Monday so I can sneak in a couple of extra half+ days. I could also get the extra days on a Thursday and Friday or a Monday and Tuesday.

Would you all reply with which weekends work or don't work for you, and which days before and after the weekends are OK.

Also, who else should we contact? Backdoctor, for sure. Just go ahead and contact anyone else you think would be interested. I doubt if we can get Flew to come again so soon, and anyhow I'm counting on him to organize v3 in the spring.

Harry - Thanks for the generous offer of a bedroom. Is the offer still good for a slightly extended stay?

Gaye and Chris - I hope you can make it. Whether you can or not, remember that I'm coming down to Sanibel for Christmas week and intend to shoot both in SW Florida and the Venice Rookery, which I believe is up toward Tampa and closer to you, Chris.

I'm looking forward to both trips, and to hearing from you quickly about October so I can get cheap airfares.

Gordon

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Gordon...
    I am ready to go any time. Nothing planned..

Venice Rookery is by Gaye not by Tampa

Sanibel is in the Ft Myers area, closer to Gaye, not tampa. Hope you get ahold of Gaye. Used to go there every weekend. To bad I wasn't into photography then.. grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Cheers
    Dropped you a PM.

9. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Gordon,

The Venice Rookery is up in Venice. I am in Fort Myers and it's a little over an hour away from me--about 1 1/2. hours.....so it may be half way between me and Tampa.

The Venice Rookery does not have much going on right now according to someone I know who lives up there. I hope to go up there in another couple of weeks to check it out......probably in mid to late November...

Ding Darling Wildlife Sanctuary is on Sanibel Island which is near me.... I am about 35-40 minutes away from DDarling depending on the traffic--very close and easy to get to. Ding Darling is NOT open on Fridays..keep that in mind...

I have not been over to Ding Darling since my return home from Michigan. I was there last fall at the end of November with a Ron Reznick group and it had plenty going on including white pelicans.

Let me know if I can be of any help from this part of the world,

Gaye

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2005
  10. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    I won't be able to make it then. I'm pretty much tied to the weekend before or after Thanksgiving (preferrably after). I'll already be 'half way there' visiting my sister in Jacksonville for the holiday.
    I'm hoping someone from the FL gang will be available to go shooting during that time. Looks like it will be Merritt 2.8. or 2.75.2.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Chris
    I will be available at those times. Perhaps Harry and Kevin and Trish can also be available.

Just give us a hollar.

Look foward to the shoot :>)))

12. Like Gale, I'm pretty much open to go shooting any time. Weekends are typically free and would be happy to meet up with anyone for MI 2.75.2, 2.8, 2.9, 3.1, ....... :wink:

13. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    The 22-23 are the best dates for myself. With my son coming home for leave from Iraq and visiting us in early Nov. the 29th-30th might be a problem because they might come up earlier than expected. Not likely but still a possibility.

The offer of a place to stay Gordon is still open and we are reserving a bedromm for you. One warning though. Past visitors have claimed to have lost lenses during the night at my place. I have no idea what they are talking about. :biggrin:

14. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Any more word on this get together or the Merritt 3 that has been discussed for late November?

I think we are planning on heading down to meet Gordon in December at Sanibel, but I also know Jennifer has been asking whether or not Merritt was going to happen since i mentioned it to her.

Thanks,
    Joe

15. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Joe,
    Sure would be great if you can come down to Sanibel. I'll definitely meet you all at Ding Darling etc. if you do. Look forward to seeing you again and let me know if I can help with anything down here before you come.

Gaye

16. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Joe -

I don't know anything about Merritt 3 in November (Does anyone else?), but we are having a couple of days session Thursday Oct 27 through Sunday Oct 30. I'm flying down from Philly early Thursday AM and back on the last flight Sunday. As of now it looks like me, Backdoctor, Gale, Kevin, HarryB and Flew if enough of us can twist his arm. Let me know if you want to join the fun.

Gordon

17. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Gaye. The more pressure we put on Joe, the more likely he and Jennifer are to come on down! :wink: :wink:

Gordon

18. JMartin

JMartin Guest

hehe Doesn't take much pressure to get me out shooting, but with the hectic schedule I have lately it does take planning.

Sounds like we are definately going to make it down to Sanibel in Dec., looks like we may come down Monday morning the 26th (Gordon - sending you a follow up PM on this), but the Merritt weekend Thursday Oct 27 through Sunday Oct 30 is going to be a no go.

I forgot that is Halloween weekend and we have a ton of stuff going on with the girls and Jennifer is helping at church on Sat. for their halloween event.

As for the November Merritt, Frank (Flew) had talked about a get together around the end of the month because he and some others (CKnight for one) will be in for Thanksgiving with family and friends. I really hope this is still going to happen since I will miss the one in two weeks.

19. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    I'll definitely be down around Thanksgiving. Whether its before or after the holiday is TBD, but I need to start firming up some plans soon. Depends on how things at work go.
    I think I'm also going to go the Alligator Farm in St. Augustine one day.

20. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi folks -

While trading PM's with Frank about Merritt v2.75 in two weeks (actually less than two weeks :biggrin: ) I asked Frank about November. He said he is now thinking about "February or so". That's great for me, because if I were to come down in both October and November, and then go shooting all the time while visiting Sanibel in December with my wife and family, I would be dead meat!

Gordon