Merry X-mas!!! and.. help!

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Jon H, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Jon H

Jon H

Jun 25, 2005
    Stockton, CA
    I hope everyone is having a merry christmas! I am have a nice and relaxing x-mas... except for one thing. The auto focus on my D70 won't work! :eek: This could be a simple problem to fix, but.. if it is, I don't know the solution. :rolleyes: In the menu, the 'Autofocus' is grayed out, along with 'AF-area mode'. On the lens, M/A is selected, on the body, AF is selected. Not sure what's going on.. kinda confused and concerned. Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks guys. Hope you are all enjoying the holidays.

2. Jon...have you tried another lens to see if it is a lens problem which I donl't think so but worth a try?

3. Jon H

Jon H

Jun 25, 2005
    Stockton, CA
    Hi Catz, thanks for your help. I would like to try this however I only have one lens (kit lens) so this is not an option for me.

4. Sorry Jon, someone here will chime in and have other options for you to try. I have the D2X but not with me at the moment or I would look it up for you since it is pretty much similar to the D70 but just more menus. If you don't get it fixed by tomorrow, I will look it up on my X and see if I can give you a hand again.

5. Is this something that suddenly developed?

It sounds like it could be a case of poor communication between the lens and the body. Have you tried shooting an image? Does it expose well? You might try unmounting and remounting the lens and see if that helps.

You could also try cleaning the contacts on the lens and the body. If you do, be careful. I use contact cleaner, though a rubber eraser can work as well. Just don't get anything in the camera.

6. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Check the lever on the D70 body near the front left side of the lens to see if you accidentally moved it from S to M or often it's bumped 1/2 way between settings from removing the body from a camera bag. This lever is located very near the lens release button.

My wife's D200 suddenly stopped auto focusing in the middle of opening Christmas presents.:mad: She bumped that lever from S (single shot auto focus) to M (manual focus).:redface:

I believe this is your problem, as well. Please let us know.:confused: I've done the same with my D2X - 2ce so far removing it from the backpack...

Good luck!!

7. I agree this is most likely the cause.

8. Jon H

Jon H

Jun 25, 2005
    Stockton, CA
    Unfortunately, I have already tried this numerous times and it has not made a difference. :confused: I would hate to have to send it in for repair, as I am not familiar with the process, and also because I have been using it a lot for the holidays. What would you all do??

9. Have you tried to reset the menu (go back to defaults). Sounds like a camera problem. Blow off the contact points on camera and lens?

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Call Nikon technical support. Tell them the problem you are having and "maybe" they have a solution.

Or they may want you to send it in for repair.

sorry this happened at the holiday Pal. I know how daunting this can be.
    Good kuck.

11. TheKO

TheKO

May 3, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Did you try taking the lens off and then putting it back on - making sure the camera is off before taking the lens off?

Just a thought...

12. Jon H

Jon H

Jun 25, 2005
    Stockton, CA
    It Works!!

WELL, thank you all for your help and suggestions. I tried all that I could at home, and since nothing worked, I went down to the local camera shop today to see if it was a lens problem or a camera problem. So, I tried my lens on another D70 and the autofocus worked fine. I then tried another Nikon lens with my D70, and, again the autofocus worked fine. Very, weird, but okay. SO, I put MY lens back on MY D70 and, everything worked fine!! :eek: :confused: I was very confused, but happy. Has this happened to anyone??