Messenger bag help

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Stephen Hopkins, Apr 10, 2007.

1. I have a large-ish backpack (Naneu Pro U110) that holds everything I have including computer and used mostly for the travel leg of trips (car, airport, ect) and storage at home. I have a small sling (Tamrac Velocity 6) that holds my D50 w/ my 28-300mm mounted and one other lens (or usually flash) which is used mainly for tourist activities.

Now I'm looking for something smaller to carry when I don't need EVERYTHING (and I rarely do) but still want more than just the bare bones. I'm thinking I'd like a messenger style bag that's somewhat flat. I'd like it it to hold the following:

D50 + Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 EX DF w/ hood reversed
    Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX D HSM w/ hood reversed
    Sigma 15-30mm f/3.5-5.6 EX DG
    Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro
    Sigma EF-500 DG ST iTTL Flash
    Phone, batteries, memory, notepad, lens cloth, fiters

The Sigma 28-70mm is small for an f/2.8 zoom even w/ the hood on, probably about the size of a 17-55mm w/ the hood OFF. The Sigma 70-200mm is quite a bit shorter than the Nikkor equiavalent... w/ the hood ON it's about the same as the Nikkor VR w/ the hood OFF. The Sigma 15-30mm is a pretty large lens for its focal length, measuring in at 5" long and 82mm filter, about the size of the Beast but a little fatter and not nearly as heavy. The 50mm f/2.8 Macro is about the same size as a Nikkor 60mm micro. The EF-500 flash is identical in size to the Nikon flashes.

Right now the bag I'm eyeing is the Tamrac Adventure Messenger 4 but by the looks of it I'll either have to not carry the 15-30mm (not an option) or carry the flash in the outer compartment (not an idea I like, not much protection).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Can anyone suggest a similar form-factor messenger that can hold what I want without becoming fat like a stereotypical camera bag? I'd like to keep things one-item deep to keep the messenger bag look.

2. jaleel

jaleel

Apr 3, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    hmm that's a lot of gear for the Tamrac 4.. i have the Crumpler 6 million and i think you can put all that stuff in there.. i don't find it too bulky.. i'll try and post a pic later when i get home from work so you can see how it looks when worn

3. Look at Think Tank Photo, they have several new messenger style bags.

4. Being the value (i.e. cheap) shopper I am I think I can get the older Tamrac Velocity 3 which is the same design as the Adventure Messenger 4 w/out the newer Adventure series asthetics. I'll have to drop one item to make it fit but I think I can make it work... I'll probably drop the 28-70mm f/2.8 and leave the 15-30mm mounted, 70-200mm to the right, flash to the left, and hopefully the 50mm macro below the body/lens in the main compartment. A black Velocity 3 just ended at $15 w/ no bids on eBay and I can get it in blue for $25 from Adorama. The original velocity line was just replaced and I think the Adventure Messenger 4 is actually the Velocity 3's direct replacement.

5. I grabbed a Velocity 3 new-with-tags from eBay for $25 shipped. I'll report back on how things fit when it arrives, hopefully later this week.

Thanks,

Stephen

6. Anyone have some loaded/unloaded pics of the Velocity 3 or Adventure Messenger 4? The pics on cambags.com don't really show much (plus they're both Canon!). Based on what I'm seeing there it looks like my layouts will be as follows:

[​IMG]

or...

[​IMG]

Is there any chance of fitting the flash in an outer pocket with the inner pocked loaded as in the second pic? Thanks!