1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Messier 27 AKA Dumbell Nebula

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by cdnpilot, Aug 25, 2018.

1. M27-Aug 25-18-Final.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(Edit: OOOPS - posted wrong photo - corrected) I may have posted this nebula before, but I think this is the best capture of it I have made. It is a pretty simple target, so when trying to improve skills, it is a great nebula to work on. This was taken with a D500 and an LX200 8" telescope on August 8, and is about 90 minutes worth of exposures (15 x 6 minutes each).

The Dumbbell Nebula (name comes from its shape) is a planetary nebula in the constellation Vulpecula, at a distance of about 1,360 light-years.

This object was the first planetary nebula to be discovered; by Charles Messier in 1764. At its brightness of visual magnitude 7.5 and its diameter of about 8 arcminutes, it is easily visible in binoculars.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. nice shot. Love the colors of the nebula and the round stars!

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

"Kevin, I know the red is from H alpha, is the green from ionized oxygen?" - Georgie Beagle

3. Ok - too funny.... when I looked at the image I thought... hmmmm... focus is off and not how I remembered it. Well, I uploaded an older image.... I edited the post and this is now the one from August this year.

[QUOTE="Kevin, I know the red is from H alpha, is the green from ionized oxygen?" - Georgie Beagle[/QUOTE]

You know, I did not know that answer... but according to NASA "The green color represents infrared light coming from tiny dust grains called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons" I know there are no green stars so I would only expect to see it in nebula.

Sorry for the miss-posted picture....

4. Like Wow, I was impressed with the first one. (round stars as in excellent guiding). This version is awesome.... I have tried astrophotography but haven't got anything to compare. I have a Celestron 8 orange tube and a German equatorial mount.

The NASA pics are wide spectrum and false color, that is the infrared is mapped into the visible spectrum. PAH's have significant infrared absorption but your camera unless modified should not see Infrared. Perhaps the retired physics professors in the group could comment?

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

"Wow.... Great Shot... Beagle Approved!!!" -Georgie Beagle

5. Thanks! It has taken me about 5 years to get to this point. I have a dedicated setup (8' observatory in my backyard) and this year invested in a new focus system as well as worked on collimating my scope. Now the only thing that is holding me back are the darn clouds... As I mentioned, the subs were 6 minutes long and my total error was just over an arc second during tracking - probably the best I have ever seen.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.