Met with Harris yesterday. and want to express my gratitude

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steve S, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I had the great fortune to meet up Harris in person yesterday in his home town. Just wanted to tell everyone that this guy took most of his day off to drive me all over his city in search for a home for me to purchase down in Fla. My boys & I drove the 3hrs from the Tampa area, down to Port St Lucie in search of a new Fla home. This kind of selfless generousity is practically unheard of in this day and age. What doesn't surprise me, is that this guy is very likeable, and fun to be around! (well, it might surprise some) ;) I hope my initial indecisiveness didn't drive him too nuts! At the absolute end of a very long day, while droving me through 1 last addition, he grabbed a for sales flyer out of a box, and I think we struck gold right then and there. The very last house we looked at is the house I'm most likely going to buy. Funny how this stuff works out.
    I mean, how many ppl would take their day off work to drive someone they've never met all over town looking at houses, with nothing to gain for themselves, with the exception of gaining a great new neighbor? :? :shock: :lol: D@mn few, that's how many.
    We also did a little looking around for birdies while we were out & about. I'm going to wait for him to post his pic(s) before I put mine up out of courtesy to him. He even lent me a longer lens, since all I had was my little 28-200 with me.
    Thanks a million, Harris, you ARE the man!

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Ah, he's OK.... :lol:

Just kidding Harris. 8) Steve, I have found Harris to be an outstanding person, as you found out yesterday, and someone that I'm proud to call a friend. ;-)

Frank

3. that is great to hear... although I have never personally met Harris.. from reading his posts on dpreview and on this forum,,,, I have always believed him to be a really great person.....

4. I think we should rename this thread. How about...

"Harris, a realtor's best friend..."
    "Harris, anybody's best frined..."
    "Harris, a pretty neat guy........."
    "Harris, Harris, Harris..............."
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have not yet had the pleasure to meet but a very few of the folks on the forum in person, but these comments regarding Harris don't surpise me at all, and I think you, Steve, deserve a ton of credit for your public acknowledgement of this, putting you, in my opinion, in the same "friend" class.

Now, lest anyone get too carried away, this won't stop me for making snide comments about Harris, or Frank, or me, or anybody else for that matter. Heck, you can't change human nature that much now, can you :?:

Steve, you didn't mention it, but did you get a Back Adjustment along the way as well :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

5. That was truly an nice gesture on Harris' part and it sounds like it might have paid off for you in the form of a new house.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Harris was very pleasant to be around on the florida shoot. All the folks were great. Seemed like we all knew each other for years.

Well Steve, Howdy neighbor.

lol

7. Steve,

Are you really moving to Florida??? What about the heat??? I thought you love the cold.

Did Harris tell you about the Palmetto Bugs down there? Ugly creatures.

But at least you will have one friend and one good friend is hard to find. I think what Harris did is exceptional especially for someone he has never met. So give him a BIG pat ont he back and say thank you :)

Good to hear you and your sons are having a good Florida time :)

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Howdy all you southerners

I want to make a small clarification. I'm only going to be wintering in Fla... for the time being, at least. I hate the intense Fla summer heat, and really do still prefer the midwest's more temperate clime in the warmer months. And ya, those Palmetto bugs, I've seen em. They look like giant cockroaches!

9. Harris is a great person, exceptional I would say. I think most people in the cafe are real diamonds, exept a few of course... :shock: (I'm the first in the list) :lol: :p

Having said that, why not move to Marysville, and be close to Bill...??? He's a hillarious guy, you'll have tons of fun... Or maybe across the counrty over to UF... both are diamonds!!! :wink:

BTW, have you seen the movie "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" with Martin and Kane... 8) :D :lol:

10. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Steve,

I agree about Harris 100%. I took a Ron Reznick workshop with him and with eight other great characters. You were in good hands for sure!

Welcome to Florida. I'm on the west coast and I'm sure you'll be coming over here to 'shoot the birds' next winter.

By the way Palmetto Bugs are big COCKROACHES...Now you know why the exterminating companies thrive down here.

Know you're having a great vacation and we're having perfect weather for you,

Gaye

11. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Since you made the decision.
    That is fine. Welcome.
    I am sure that you will enjoy this fine State.
    Oh! No income tax.

I tell most people, heat, hurricanes, bugs, snakes,
    Stay where you are. It's too crowded down here.

Birger

12. NANCY

NANCY

Mar 14, 2005
    FLORIDA
    Having been born and raised in Florida and also having lived in Florida for quite a few of my adult years, I can highly recommend "my" state both in winter and summer. Welcome!

13. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Just wanted to let Steve know that he is considered special.

Birger

14. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Birger, and everyone else,

This decision to start wintering in Fla has been one of the hardest ones I ever had to make, and certainly Harris has made it much easier! Knowing someone who's as easy going as him sure eases to pains of moving so far away from friends & family, even if it's only for 5(?) months at a time.

15. Well, that was certainly a generous act on his part. Tell your agent that she/he owes Harris a big fat referral on that one! *LOL* I'm thinking about a winter place in FLA soon myself - bones getting too creaky to endure any more Canadian winters! *LOL*

16. Harris is a genuine great fantastic person

Simply put, a fantastic great human being.

I have the chance to ICQ with him a few times a week, a fantastic generous honnest man.

One man you want to have as a friend for sure.

I agree with Steven S,

17. I'm not sure, but are y'all talking about Harris the Backdoctor? Or the other Harris (Harris S?) on this site? Just wondering given what's going on w/ Backdoctor Harris' wife, Mary.

Also, not sure if I've ever seen Palmetto Bugs before, but are these them (or their cousins)? :D

http://www.pbase.com/mandnwong/image/25153883.jpg

I spent much of my formative childhood years living in Hong Kong, which has a very similar subtropical climate/environment as Florida, and yes, one does regularly see giant cockroaches there, especially during the rainy days. And those giant cockroaches will even fly short distances across rooms, from window to window and building to building. I've also seen them here in NYC on very rare occasions -- maybe in some old, not-so-well-kept buildings on a stormy summer night. But none of them (in HK or here) were as big as the ones shown in the picture above, which were maybe 3-4" long each. If they were, that would be pretty scary me thinks. :D

_Man_

18. Hey all, just got back from the hospital and Mary is doing a bit better. Still no definitive answers on whats wrong, but it's a long story and I wont bore you all. She was admitted Sunday thru the ER for the 3rd time to this hospital, and had exploratory surgery Tuesday, so my days have been filled with visiting her.

As for all these kind words, well, better widen the doors for my fat head.

I wish I coulda helped Steve more, but look forward to having a friend closer by for the extreme winters we suffer from down here. The house Steve is looking at is literally only 5 minutes door to door, just the next neighborhood. I think he'll like it there.

Havent been here much, but once Mary is home and doing better I hope to shoot more. Got off some shots today, hope to post them soon.

Thanks again for the kind words. Steve is a great guy and I only wish I had more time to show him around, but that will be soon enough.

19. Hi Harris,

Good news to hear that the Mary is doing better and our prayers are with you and your wife.

Good days are around the corner :)

20. Thanks Melissa. She's still not quite well, but at least home.