meteor shower

I'd read that there'd be a meteor shower last night (ice from Haileys Comet), so when I awoke at 12:45AM, I got up to look outside. It wasn't quite dark, but then the sun begins rising at 2AM these days... The entire sky was covered with little ice crystals falling..... This morning there's another inch of fresh snow on top of the 4 feet left from winter. I didn't think I'd have to clean off our solar panels again this spring, but alas, the sun came up and the panels were covered. Donning snowshoes, giant skwegee in hand, I waded through the soft snow to the panels, sinking up to mid thigh even with the snowshoes. Ah, spring in Alaska!!

wow. very cool. would you have been able to get any pictures of the meteor shower or was it just not dark enough?

Another perk of living in alaska but snow? wow.... Here in WI we have had a cold spring but I am glad the snow is gone.

wow. very cool. would you have been able to get any pictures of the meteor shower or was it just not dark enough?

I had hoped to see the meteor shower, but the sky was full of ice crystals (snow). This time of the year, it never gets completely dark anymore, but still I had hopes of seeing the meteor shower. When I went to bed it was clear, but by midnight it had begun to snow.

Another perk of living in alaska but snow? wow.... Here in WI we have had a cold spring but I am glad the snow is gone.

Our rivers are now open, but we live between two lakes, and they are still very solid, though becoming wet in the surface snow. We generally have snow on the ground here until June. We are in the mountains, at 1550 feet in elevation. We can, and often do get snow storms in every month of the year, though from May until September it generally melts quickly.

As requested, here's the view from our front deck at 7:15 this morning. It will be quite some time before the pond is open.

pondMay.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Wow again! You probably have some incredible wildlife that come through. Any neightbors or are you far out on your own?

Wow again! You probably have some incredible wildlife that come through. Any neightbors or are you far out on your own?

We see black bears, brown bears, wolves, foxes, caribou and moose locally, as well as smaller mammals like short tailed weasels and red backed voles. In summer, we have lots of nesting birds.

The property was originally a homestead which was broken into 13 lots. We have two neighbors in winter, and 4 in summer, with occassional people using a few smaller cabins around the lake in summer and winter. The nearest town (and our PO) is 24 miles; we drive 145 miles (one way) to go grocery shopping.

It's 90 degrees here today. I haven't had the top and doors on my Jeep in almost a month.

We've got large south east facing windows. I had to open two windows today as the sunshine really makes the house hot. Outside it got up to 37F, but it feels much warmer in the sun.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom