Metering accuracy: D40 vs. D60

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Pa, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Is the D60 metering system better than that on the D40?

While on a recent rafting/fishing trip in Alaska I was sharing my wife's D40 with her, and was having trouble getting good exposures in difficult lighting situations. Then one of the guides handed me his D60 and asked me to take a few shots for him. I was surprised to find that it was getting the exposure right automatically on almost every shot - no blown highlights.

Is this experience typical?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
  2. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Do you know whether the settings (including exposure compensation) were the same?

3. Well, no. He (the guide) had been using it in "Auto" mode, and I switched to "A" and set it on f/8 and took a test shot; it produced a perfect histogram, with no +/- eV dialed in. With the D40, I had to use -1.7 eV to avoid blown highlights.

Unfortunately, time did not permit a detailed comparison. The other uncontrolled variable was lenses: 18-55VR on his D60, 18-200VR on the D40.

4. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Shouldn't do, they both have the same meter.

5. But do they have the same algorithms in the exposure computer? The D60 is (+/-) 18 months newer technology, I think.

6. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    From what I've seen/read, the meter wasn't upgraded from the D40/x to D60.

7. Maybe he had his camera set to centre weighted metering which exposes for highlights .
    The newer entry level cameras seem to set priority to focus point with matrix metering and can be a bit erratic which is why I got rid of my D80 and bought an older D70S .

8. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    The D60 does have "Active D-Lighting" so I guess if turned on that'd be part of it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.