Metering Shots (Informational)

I have been having problems with exposure and I tried some metering changes.

Dark Bird with bright BG.

Partial Metering
Gracklepart.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Center Weighted
View attachment 92563

Here is a Mallard Drake on grass Partial

View attachment 92564

I'm not good enough to use either metering mode other the evaluative for In-Flight shots, Can't hold focus in Servo AI

Gary,

I'm just a klutzy amateur, but I can't count on any metering mode to get 100% consistent results shooting birds. I usually end up shooting in manual, looking at the histogram, adjust if necessary. The light angles, background, presence or absence of white or black (light or dark even) areas on the subject, all seem to result in significantly more poor shots when using metering as opposed to my own judgment of the scene lighting, subject, etc.

I know that some shooters do much better at it but I just can't seem to get it right. :rolleyes:

Gary,

I'm just a klutzy amateur, but I can't count on any metering mode to get 100% consistent results shooting birds. I usually end up shooting in manual, looking at the histogram, adjust if necessary. The light angles, background, presence or absence of white or black (light or dark even) areas on the subject, all seem to result in significantly more poor shots when using metering as opposed to my own judgment of the scene lighting, subject, etc.

I know that some shooters do much better at it but I just can't seem to get it right. :rolleyes:

You do pretty well as far as I can tell But I can say shooting Eagles in a Tree cover swamp is a far cry from Osprey on a wide open river bank. The setting on a camera make all the difference in the world and I would say for sitting shots you can play with manual but for In-flight or running shots there is no time to experiment.

I'm just a klutzy amateur, but I can't count on any metering mode to get 100% consistent results shooting birds.

Additionally, some Nikon bodies change their matrix metering algorithm depending on the orientation of the body (vertical or horizontal shot), so if you use the matrix metering it's a good idea to experiment a lot and look for conditions that trip it up.

Sean

I'm just a klutzy amateur, but I can't count on any metering mode to get 100% consistent results shooting birds.

Additionally, some Nikon bodies change their matrix metering algorithm depending on the orientation of the body (vertical or horizontal shot), so if you use the matrix metering it's a good idea to experiment a lot and look for conditions that trip it up.

Sean

I'm using a Canon 20D

I have been using center weighted most of the time...although I will switch to full metering if it's a landscape or the camera is completely getting it wrong.

try fill flash with a better beamer

I'm not into flash for wild birds but I'm sure it would help. It seems to me one shot is not worth scaring the birds off.

I have been using center weighted most of the time...although I will switch to full metering if it's a landscape or the camera is completely getting it wrong.

It seems to be good for Sitting shots but not good on In-Flight unless they are a long way away.

Gary,

A predominately Nikon forum is going to be a tough place to get advice for a Canon shooter. The reason is because Nikon's meter blows Canon's out of the water for accuracy. I have been using Canon gear for a long time and have also used Nikon on occasion. I found the Nikon metering to be better in almost every situation as far as metering is concerned.

The first two examples you posted would both require a lot of plus compensation to render the subject as desired. One thing to remember with a Canon is that on a dull day the meter stinks to put it bluntly. The second image is about as good as you could do with such a bright background. The subject looks pretty good to me. The third image is mostly mid tones so any metering mode is going to do well in that situation.

I use fill flash frequently and the vast majority of the time I don't see any ill effects on the bird. If I see it is bothering the bird I stop using it and forget that shot.

I don't know if you were looking for that many comments but as a fellow Canon shooter I thought I would chime in. I have made a bazillion mistakes over the years (and now) so if I can help I would be more than happy to do so. I can also just go pound sand if you like.:biggrin:

Gary,

A predominately Nikon forum is going to be a tough place to get advice for a Canon shooter. The reason is because Nikon's meter blows Canon's out of the water for accuracy. I have been using Canon gear for a long time and have also used Nikon on occasion. I found the Nikon metering to be better in almost every situation as far as metering is concerned.

The first two examples you posted would both require a lot of plus compensation to render the subject as desired. One thing to remember with a Canon is that on a dull day the meter stinks to put it bluntly. The second image is about as good as you could do with such a bright background. The subject looks pretty good to me. The third image is mostly mid tones so any metering mode is going to do well in that situation.

I use fill flash frequently and the vast majority of the time I don't see any ill effects on the bird. If I see it is bothering the bird I stop using it and forget that shot.

I don't know if you were looking for that many comments but as a fellow Canon shooter I thought I would chime in. I have made a bazillion mistakes over the years (and now) so if I can help I would be more than happy to do so. I can also just go pound sand if you like.:biggrin:

No Andy

I value your experiance and I'm trying to get the best out of what I have and Not start over with Nikon Gear. I'm looking at getting another Canon body and any advise there would be of help. The new 1D Mark 3 is what I'm looking at for speed and cost the second would be the 5D. I played a lot with the Great Egret shots to hold down the whites. The Exp would change from 1/3 or 2/3 from sun to cloud in the same spot.

No I wouldn't start over either simply because I'm comfortable with Canon.

For me personally it would be the 1D Mark III hands down or any of the 1 series cameras for that matter. If you are going to be shooting wildlife primarily the autofocus and frame rate would be enough to sway my decision. In my mind the 5D would be better suited for landscape type photography.

No I wouldn't start over either simply because I'm comfortable with Canon.

For me personally it would be the 1D Mark III hands down or any of the 1 series cameras for that matter. If you are going to be shooting wildlife primarily the autofocus and frame rate would be enough to sway my decision. In my mind the 5D would be better suited for landscape type photography.

Thanks Andy I'm being told the Mark 3 will be for sale in the middle of June this year I may get one in the fall. Prebuy price is $4500.

Latest threads

Top Bottom