Metric used in London????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bill N, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Bill N

Bill N Guest

I thought you were doing Metric on the other side of the pond? Taken on a walk-about a couple weeks ago, north end of London. 16 days spent in the EU and about 800 clicks later...... still have a lot of work to do.:biggrin: Will post more later.

DSC_6981.

2. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    We're a bit odd over here, all of our road signs are in imperial.

However if I were to say go and buy a can of cola then that'd be in metric.

All very odd, I don't really understand...

3. If you watch BBC's Top Gear they speak in terms of miles per hour and brake horse power. :smile:

4. Bill N

Bill N Guest

I really enjoyed the 3 days we spent there. Folks were friendly and there was sooooo much to see. I felt very safe walking around London, much safer than many big cities I have visited in the states. The history was interesting also, so much to see in such a short time. It was just a taste but, one that made me want more. Regards, Bill

5. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

brake horsepower is universal in the automotive industry.i have seen power measured in KW but thats generaly speaking of electric motors.

6. I remember arriving in the UK in 1988 for a seven month stay. To work.

I was picked up at the airport by a colleague in a Porsche 944 (I think).

As we drove along some M highway, I looked over at the speedometer and said "hey, 120 isn't all that fast" as I mentally converted 120 KPH to MPH.

He laughed and told me it WAS MPH! :eek: 

7. phhhhhhht Try and figure out "Brithish Wentworth" wrenches. Not close to metric or standard. It is completly its own sizing and uses fractions like standard wrenches. A 3/4" British Wentworth is no where close to a 3/4" sae wrench.

I was half way through school when Canada swicthed to the metric system. Body temp still messes me up 98.6 = 36 C (I think) mileage is easy but now that my 07 Impala shows one or the other I am finding it hard to convert back and forth. So I am kinda half metric and kinda half standard. I am soooooo confused...

8. Well over here we are so non-metric, almost anti metric, but some of our most important and vital "things" are measured in metric units-------wine comes in 750ml bottles:599::803:
    Cheers!

9. We buy our gas by the litre but measure economy by mpg!!!!!!!!!

John

10. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Wow, I've never really thought of that until today...
    What a weird nation we are!

11. Distance and speed is imperial.
    Weight is generally imperial, although younger generations are using metric.
    Same with height too.

12. Sure enough, anyone calling a trunk a boot and a hood a bonnet must be! :wink:

13. The USA has converted to metric for those items that are most important. Drugs and Alcohol :biggrin: (well, as least wine, beer is still sold by the oz).

I moved from a metric country to the USA. I know how powerful a 200kw car is, but have no concept of HP. And Fahrenheit is simply dilly. Celsius makes so much more sense.

Someone told me the lumber industry is one of the big hold-outs against going metric, even though a '2x4' measures nowhere near 2" x 4" :confused: 

14. Bill N

Bill N Guest

You mean a 1 1/2 X 3 1/2, Craig? Yes, while I found most things in the EU similar to the US there was a little twist every now and then.

Now Coke was another story. Being a Coke drinker and over hearing others on our trip comment. Wow! The Coke (insert other brands of soda) tasted so much better! I saw that it was bottled in Germany in many places. I heard more than one say they wouldn't mind figuring out how to ship soda home it tasted so much better. Go figure...

15. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    I think we could successfully convert over the course of one 2 term presidency

start putting the km measurements on road signs and eventually replace the miles

over the course of 8 years people should be fairly adapted

a lot of food products already have the L equivalent on the package, so if we started to phase out the gallons/ounces (or even put a small chart up at first) I think we'd quickly catch on

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Now what would be really schizo, would be to measure mikes per liter!

17. Actually, kW is official in Germany (and I think a lot of other countries in continental Europe). However, noone can relate to kW, so the magazines always give you the horse power figure, too :smile:

Only the government uses kW exclusively.

Cheers

Mike

18. Never!!! It would be like giving in to Europe, right? :wink: :wink:

Cheers

Mike

19. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    miles/liter would be hilarious

20. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Basically food (and liquids) have to be sold in metric (to keep the mainland Eurocrats happy) but everything else is generally imperial. If we had to go completely metric we might as well just drive on the wrong side of the road as well :biggrin: :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.