Mets vs. Twins

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by The Clam, Jun 24, 2007.

1. A couple from the Mets game the other night. It was a beautiful night and the company was terrific (Tosh, Gogo and Docsol - an impromptu Cafe shoot). I struggled a bit with white balance as you will see. C&C welcome.

Jose Reyes:
    [​IMG]

Joe Mauer:
    [​IMG]

David Wright:
    [​IMG]

And of course, Mets legend, Ken "Docsol" Solomon:
    [​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Images are great

I see a yellow cast

Good to see ya Clam:>)))))

3. Hi Gale. Thanks. I had some white balance issues as the game went on. Tosh gave me the WB for #2, but as light faded and stadium lights came on, I should have adjusted. I also find that the D2x gives me a definite green cast all the time compared to my D200 and D50. I tried going to -1 on the WB but it hasn't really helped. Any suggestions?

4. i like #1 alot
    #2 is not so interesting
    #3 &#4 did you shoot auto wb ?

5. i shoot raw and use auto wb and then fix it in NC in 2 seconds if i have to....when i start setting it manually it seems to always screw up eventually unless i keep resetting it

6. Thanks Randy. I usually shoot raw but shot jpegs because of the number of frames I was shooting. Used 5900 as color temp which was fine early on (shot #2). Frank warned me how important it would be to get the WB right and suggested that I shouldn't used AWB. Is there a known color temp for stadiums under the lights or do I have to figure it out using a grey card?

7. Yea those lights can be a real PIA shoot raw and adjust in post not sure any WB setting on the cam would get it just right, but these look good to me, any time a Phils fan can hang out next time

8. Some very, very nice photos there, Larry. My congratulations.

9. Thanks guys. I just started trying to shoot sports but it's a blast and lots to learn. It makes me appreciate the fine captures I see here. And when the Mets are playing as badly as they have lately, at least I can still have fun at the game. It was a nice evening with the other denizens of the Cafe. Maybe we can try it with a larger group soon.

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Yep Larry, the wb makes the images a tad yellow. You need to use custom white balance option on your camera and that can be easily handled with an 18% grey card or an expodisk. As the lights became stronger than the ambient lighting, I quick adjustment of the wb with a grey card would have handled your wb issues. Grey cards aren't expensive, check into one at your local camera shop.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Clam
    If you have PS and selective color available
    Choose the offending color and adjust the black slider.
    Alsos fiddle around in theer and you can pull out color casts

12. sounds like a fun time and the images show that

13. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Great shots....and a reason to shoot RAW files.

I tried everything from grey cards, white cards manually set WB in gyms and struck out. I shoot a grey card now in hopes of getting some correct and shoo RAW so I can PP the WB later. a PITA, but seems to be the only way....

14. Thanks for the advice Frank, Gale and Randy. I am going to try again tomorrow night at Shea (Mets vs Cards). I'll have a grey/white card this time, now I just have to learn how to use custom WB before then. I will probably shoot some RAW too just to be on the safe side. It is nice to have those small jpeg files though, if I can just nail the WB.