Metz 50 AF-1 vs SB700

OK, another question for the gurus. I am planning on getting a flash for my D700. I used to have a SB600, and really liked it -- the build quality, power, size, etc are all fantastic. I am debating between the newer version of the SB600 (which is the SB700) and the Metz 50 AF-1

For those familiar with both models, what (if anything) would I be missing if I went with either one

Go with the SB-700.

Eventually you'll probably want to get a couple of them and the 700 can act as a master and slave.

You could use the Metz also, but i think you might need radio triggers.

The Metz is only a CLS Slave / Remote, not a Commander, and has a clumsier user interface than the Nikon. It's also more powerful, as well made, and user-updateable via firmware. If losing the Commander functionality is a show-stopper, instead of the SB-700 at $329, consider the Metz 58 AF-2 at $399. It's more powerful than the SB-700 or -900, provides a dual reflector with multiple ratios, and has a different, easier-to-use interface than the 50 AF-1, although it's not as easy as the SB-700 and -900.

hth,

I will definitely recommend going with the SB model. 3rd party speedlites are known to have some issues.
Please say if you have first hand experience, otherwise that's a generality. SOME 3rd party strobes, such as Nissin and Sunpak, are known to have issues. Owning and using Metz 48, 50 and 58 units for Nikon, I can assure you that they work seamlessly in the ALS/CLS system.

Here's a quick example:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Shot with a Metz 58 AF-1 in this ringlight, using Nikon i-TTL. D90, Nikkor 18-200 VR1 @ 70mm, 1/60 @ f/8. In a series of 20+ shots, exposures were amazingly consistent. The EXIF data says flash did not fire; not sure what's up with that - I was in full manual & allowing i-TTL to set the flash output.

Do any of the Metz units currently work with the new Pocketwizard ControlTL system (MiniTT1, FlexTT5)? They're not listed so I don't think they're supported. I think the Canon version now works with the Metz 48 and 58 (with a few strange glitches), but not the 50.

Pocketwizard has added support for the SB-700 with the current beta firmware, though only as a remote for now. Looks like they'll support the Nikon flashes first.

Only some folks are interested in the ControlTL system, but if one thinks they might go to it, the Metz compatibility is a question for now.

Please say if you have first hand experience, otherwise that's a generality. SOME 3rd party strobes, such as Nissin and Sunpak, are known to have issues. Owning and using Metz 48, 50 and 58 units for Nikon, I can assure you that they work seamlessly in the ALS/CLS system.

Here's a quick example:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a171/TXGrampa/RosieRinglight_3314-9x100.jpg

Shot with a Metz 58 AF-1 in this ringlight, using Nikon i-TTL. D90, Nikkor 18-200 VR1 @ 70mm, 1/60 @ f/8. In a series of 20+ shots, exposures were amazingly consistent. The EXIF data says flash did not fire; not sure what's up with that - I was in full manual & allowing i-TTL to set the flash output.
That is already an "issue" for me. If the flash does not communicate 100% to the camera then obviously there is something missing there.

Do any of the Metz units currently work with the new Pocketwizard ControlTL system (MiniTT1, FlexTT5)? They're not listed so I don't think they're supported. I think the Canon version now works with the Metz 48 and 58 (with a few strange glitches), but not the 50.

Pocketwizard has added support for the SB-700 with the current beta firmware, though only as a remote for now. Looks like they'll support the Nikon flashes first.

Only some folks are interested in the ControlTL system, but if one thinks they might go to it, the Metz compatibility is a question for now.
Good point for those folks. Support for 3rd party flashes is likely to be non-existant, esp given the amount of effort it's taken just to support the camera maker's units.

That is already an "issue" for me. If the flash does not communicate 100% to the camera then obviously there is something missing there.

As I said, not sure what's up with that. I retested this morning with my SB-600 and two different Metz units: a Metz 50 and one of my Metz 58's. With the same camera settings as the image I posted, and the strobes set to TTL, the EXIF shows "Flash fired [compulsory flash mode]" with BOTH Metz units and the Nikon SB-600. So I'm putting the earlier result down to cockpit error. :wink: I don't think it's the hardware as I was getting an i-TTL preflash with the pictures of Rose, and as mentioned, the resulting exposures were remarkably consistent.

I own and use both Nikon and Metz strobes. I've tested and reported the results and posted an image. I'll ask straight out: Do you own either, or are your opinions based on what you've read on the Internet? Regardless, the great thing is that we're free to make our own choices from the many products available.

hth,

Good point for those folks. Support for 3rd party flashes is likely to be non-existant, esp given the amount of effort it's taken just to support the camera maker's units.

As I said, not sure what's up with that. I retested this morning with my SB-600 and two different Metz units: a Metz 50 and one of my Metz 58's. With the same camera settings as the image I posted, and the strobes set to TTL, the EXIF shows "Flash fired [compulsory flash mode]" with BOTH Metz units and the Nikon SB-600. So I'm putting the earlier result down to cockpit error. :wink: I don't think it's the hardware as I was getting an i-TTL preflash with the pictures of Rose, and as mentioned, the resulting exposures were remarkably consistent.

I own and use both Nikon and Metz strobes. I've tested and reported the results and posted an image. I'll ask straight out: Do you own either, or are your opinions based on what you've read on the Internet? Regardless, the great thing is that we're free to make our own choices from the many products available.

hth,
I don't need to own every flash in the market to come up with a conclusion. Your flash may have worked today but irregardless, there was an "issue" yesterday. You own something or not, an opinion is just an opinion, it doesn't automatically mean that your opinion weighs more because you own one.

The fact is, yesterday, your Metz gave a different result versus today (I'm talking about the EXIF data). You may be biased because you own it. Fact is not equal to opinion.

So let me ask you this, is your EXIF the same or different from yesterday? You will say different right? So, that is a FACT, not my OPINION. I hope you get my point here.

Thanks!

I've provided real-world results based on first hand experience, and hope the OP finds this information useful. I'm done with this thread.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom