MF ring question on a Nikon 400mm F 3.5 Ais

Hello.

Wondering if I might get an opinion.

Just bought a beautiful Nikon 400mm F3.5 Ais. The Manual focus ring seems a bit touchy, or slightly free if you will. Focus itself feels accurate, but turning the ring is just well, a bit touchy. Is the term dampened enough what I am looking for?

Question is whether or not it is worthwhile having it looked at, or just leave well enough alone? Don't want any unnecessary problems.

Thanks,

Mike

I'm almost wondering if all the really long MF lenses are that way. My 300mm ED IF is the exact same way. Focus won't move on it's own, but there's none of that wonderfully dampened MF focus feel that all my other, shorter primes have.

Couple that with the lack of a hard infinity stop on that lens, made for interesting shooting the first few times!

I'm almost wondering if all the really long MF lenses are that way. My 300mm ED IF is the exact same way. Focus won't move on it's own, but there's none of that wonderfully dampened MF focus feel that all my other, shorter primes have.

Couple that with the lack of a hard infinity stop on that lens, made for interesting shooting the first few times!

Yeah, one repair shop said the same thing about the 300 as well. I also told him the same thing you mention about my shorter Primes. Maybe they are all like that:confused:

Thanks,

Mike

Is that 400 mm an IF too? Then that might be it. I had a 200 Micro AI, also IF, and focusing was very light too. Perhaps because moving a few lenses inside requires less force, compared to moving a large tube in/out another via a large diameter helicoil.

Thymen

My 400 3.5 has more resistance than yours, it can be moved with one finger, but is better with two. Mine has been well used, and yours sounds to be pristine. Mine might have more wear leading to more resistance?

My 400 3.5 has more resistance than yours, it can be moved with one finger, but is better with two. Mine has been well used, and yours sounds to be pristine. Mine might have more wear leading to more resistance?

If more wear meant more resistance, mine should be quite difficult to turn. Mine's very beat up (price was commesurate). Focus ring is very very light, though it won't move on it's own.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom