1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!
  1. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hi Y'all,

My apologies for recent absence from the forums but my schedule of late has been backbreaking.

Anyhow I've just received my first "when will MI VI be held" PM. Looking at the calendar the optimal time would be 2/2/08-2/10-/08. This avoids conflicting with Valentine's Day and the Daytona 500.

If there's enough interest to justify holding another shoot I will be willing to coordiante and host the Space Coast portion of the shoot unless some other fools wants to do it. Hopefully some of our members on Florida's West Coast would be willing to step-up and coordiante that portion of the shoot.

Anyhow sound off and let me know if you think its worthwhile to do another MI Shoot and if you would be interested in attending.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2008
  2. Hi Harry,

Nan & I will probably attend yet again. Not sure if we would hit the west coast this time.

Let us know if we can help out,
    Bob & Nan

3. I'll be there for sure! Has the flood subsided yet? :smile:

4. I get the credit for asking when the MI shoot will be.
    I hope to attend for atleast a day or two. I'm trying to combine the shoot with a family trip to Florida.

5. DW Brewer

DW Brewer Guest

Already saving my pennies! Am working on whether to try for both coasts, but will try. Last year was a blast!

6. Man - I thought you were talking about the British version of the CIA!

7. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    It's our annual bird-shooting gathering! Middle of winter right here in Florida - highs in the 70s, lows in the 60s.

Harry - I'm in for the West Coast shooting! What a blast last year was and I learned a ton from the more experienced shooters. The whole gang was wonderful. At the end of it all, I had gathered 10s of new friends and I was a much better photographer. And thanks for hosting again. I'm glad you were able to do so, with your busy retirement schedule.

8. you know me, west coast, east coast and parts inbetween...

maybe Wachodahatchee or Loxahatchee NWR this year too...

9. I'll plan to go back to Wakodahatchee & Green Cay as soon as the temps go down. I have not visited since March. Need to practice for MI VI...

Backdoctor: Loxahatchee is not that good unfortunately. If you care to go to Wako/Green Cay, say the word, starting October, I'll go.

10. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I'm hoping to finally be able to attend this year. :biggrin:

11. It is early but this year is not looking good for me

12. Alex, would love to join you at Wakodahatchee, but I have to disagree about Loxahatchee. Here are some shot from this past spring. All taken on one visit.

Limpkin
    original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Purple Gallinule
    original.jpg

Tricolor in mating plumage
    original.jpg

Adult Great Horned Owl, there was a nest nearby with fledged baby
    original.jpg

one week later this guy was high above me, I had to shoot straight upwards with a 400mm f2.8 on a wimberley.
    original.jpg

13. Nancy and I are in and calender marked :smile:

14. KristinB

KristinB

Apr 12, 2007
    Stafford, VA
    I'm seriously tempted... especially since I can exchange one of my timeshares for a two bedroom unit at this resort from January 31-February 7. So I'd be about 45 minutes away from Merritt Island and about a half hour away from Viera...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2008
  15. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Update on Ft DeSoto

Hurricane Ike did some major churning up of the Gulf earlier this month, and we got some major wash-out. DeSoto's North Beach is open; however, the 'land' has been rearranged. The point had a portion of the bluffs washed away, but the beach on that area is deeper. In fact, those stumps that were 75 feet out in the water are now on dry land at low tide. The mangroves on the Gulf side are easy to walk around at any time without getting your feet wet.

There's a VERY COOL spot now that holds water when the tide goes out, and also holds little fish. The egrets, sea gulls, and pelicans gather by the DOZENS and enjoy a feeding FRENZY! I was standing there last weekend surrounded by hundreds of sea gulls within about 4 feet of me (they were more concerned with feeding than with me). The pelicans are feeding from the ground by getting a running start and diving into the shallow water to fill their beaks. Mr Reddish Egret also hangs out there during the right tidal conditions.

I hope to get down there soon WITH my camera...

Looking forward to seeing you all.

16. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
  17. Keep us posted. Just don't scare away the birds before I get down there again. :redface:

18. Worthwhile?
    You really must be stressed out Harry. You showed us such a good time last year there's no way I want to miss the 2009 iteration!

Don

19. Mike - make it work!
    If there's anything I can do to help please let me know.

Don

20. KristinB

KristinB

Apr 12, 2007
    Stafford, VA
    Okay, I'm definitely in -- the timeshare is booked! :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.