Miami Beach Holocaust Memorial

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Wilk, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Not sure if this is the right group, but these probably fit this description best. Been in south beach a little over half a year. Not sure why it took me so long to visit this amazing place, but I'm glad I finally did. The artist that did the sculpture work did a truly amazing job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comments/critiques most welcomed.

2. Great use of depth of field and the wide angle lens on the last image. Compelling images all the way around. Nice work.

3. Very captivating! Excellent work!

4. Very moving series of images Steve.

5. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hey Justin,

Thanks very much for your kind words. One of the nice surprises with the 10.5mm fish eye was that you can actually get defocused backgrounds if you use it right. It may be a tad juvenille, but I love that lens :shock:

6. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks very much Kevin. My hats off to the architects and sculptor for providing such an amazing space.

7. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks Gordon!

8. huskey8

huskey8

Feb 22, 2005
    Is this the Steve I meet the other night on Mia Beach in front of the coral house if it is Welcome.
    Nice picture the Holocaust Memorial moves me beyond words I have tried to capture it a FEW times but have never been satisfied with the results you did a very nice job here.

9. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hey Richard!

Unless you met another fat bald ugly guy with a d2x that night, it's me :lol:

So here's the deal... if I get a bunch of people mad at me, I'm pointing the finger at you! You are the one that suggested this awesome place, afterall :twisted:

Hey man, thanks ever so much for the kind words... dunno what to say! :)

I pretty much take the same approach to most of the stiuff I shoot. It certainly doesn't always work, but I guess it did this time. Next time you're down this way lemmie know in advance. I also like shooting downtown miami if you ever venture there. Day or night on south beach is fine with me, you can give some of my fast primes a whirl if you come down at night again.

Just lemmie know.

10. Very powerful images, great use of DOF. Very nicely done Steve!!

11. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hey Kieth,

Thanks ever so much for the kind words. I'm nothing if not a razor DOF freak :twisted:

I hope your avatar makes it to the destination, it seems to be loosing quite a bit of its aerodynamic profile :lol:

12. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Welcome to the forum. Moving shots all, but I especially like the last one, excellent use of distorted perspective. I've not had much luck with my 10.5 fisheye yet but it's shots like these that motivate me to keep trying.

13. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hey Jeff,

Thanks very much for your too kind assesment. I'm with ya on the 10.5... thing is, I'm a wide angle freak and given the wide angle limits of the 1.5 fov crop, I HAD to get this lens and give it a go. What I hate is the "top dead center" shots that look like a regular dead-on photograph shot through a crystal ball. I always try to push myself way to one side or the other and find a way to get out of the "bow" look. It's not always easy and it doesn't always work, but when it does and because it does, it makes the lens a keeper for me.