Miami

Real Name
Chris
My photo class had a field trip Saturday to the mining town of Miami, Arizona, where they have very nice light. These are shot with a 24-120vr lens. The film was developed 6 minutes in HC110 dilution b. These are scanned from a contact sheet.

frame1a.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

frame2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

the second is very cool. I wonder who lives in this house, if there live or lived somebody..
but what are the structures in the sky??!

I like the contrast. Maybe I better try B on some trix.

That second one reminds me of my parent's honeymoon. There used to be this old abandoned place like that back in NJ and legend had it my parents spent their honeymoon there. Heck if I know it was true.

I really like the first one
The light is great on that one and I like the composition

The second one's very cool, and yeah what's with the pattern in the sky?

Your post just made me dig out one of my contact sheet and look at them under my 50mm reversed (yes, poor man's loupe:biggrin: ), it's truly mesmerising how much detail that little 36x24mm piece of photo paper can hold!!! So much finer than what our eyes can resolve even when photo sniffing

Real Name
Chris
Wow! Thanks for all the comments!

the second is very cool. I wonder who lives in this house, if there live or lived somebody..
but what are the structures in the sky??!
Thanks Joesef! Nobody lives there now, it was empty and for sale.

I like the contrast. Maybe I better try B on some trix.

That second one reminds me of my parent's honeymoon. There used to be this old abandoned place like that back in NJ and legend had it my parents spent their honeymoon there. Heck if I know it was true.
Cool Ed, thanks. I used HC110 because that's what I have at home, and I used dilution B because it gets the full film speed without extending the development time too much. But the contrast is from the filtration - I put a #25 filter over the lens for most of the shots where the sky showed.

Very nice Chris - I too like the overall look&feel of these!

BTW, what is the difference between the light in "your" bit of AZ compared to here? (Just nosey/curious :wink:)
Thank you Paul! The light in the Globe/Miami area (about 75 miles east of me) is really nice, and it always has been. It's outside the dust-bowl of the Phoenix Valley and the sky is very blue an the rocks are almost golden. That combination adds up to some mighty fine shooting!

I really like the first one
The light is great on that one and I like the composition
Thanks Gale - that one is my favorite too! I have a thing for water stuff.

The second one's very cool, and yeah what's with the pattern in the sky?

Your post just made me dig out one of my contact sheet and look at them under my 50mm reversed (yes, poor man's loupe:biggrin: ), it's truly mesmerising how much detail that little 36x24mm piece of photo paper can hold!!! So much finer than what our eyes can resolve even when photo sniffing
Thanks Malf. Yes, film, even (moderately) fast film can hold a lot of detail. Of course the fantastic 24-120 VR lens helps in that regard! While I like that lens on digital, it really shines on film! At first I considered taking my F5 and 4 primes, but then decided that I'd rather travel light so I took the N80 and the zoom. At the end of the day, I was glad!

Oh yeah, the squirlies in the sky... These are not proper scans, I just scanned the sheet of negatives to make a 'contact scan'. The plastic presses against the shiny side of the negative and makes these 'Newton ring' patterns. I was in a hurry and pressed for time (I shot, developed and scanned 8 rolls!) so I didn't put the negatives in the carrier for a real high rez scan. This is the actual size of the scan I made. A real scan would be 8 or 10 times bigger, and not have those artifacts.

Good stuff here, Chris. Please do post some high res scans when you can!

Both good , but I'm partial to the second .
Looks like the southwest 's version of the diners you see in the northeast US.

i like the light.
i like the big bright water tank.
the second photo makes me think the railroad ran thru this town, and at some point, someone picked up an old railcar and used it as a base structure for their dwelling?

Real Name
Chris
Very nice Chris, the 2nd one is specially intriguing.
Thanks Gav!

These are both excellent!
Thank you Anthony!

Good stuff here, Chris. Please do post some high res scans when you can!
Thanks Ray! I will probably print these negatives in the darkroom, then scan the prints. I'd like to try fiber based paper for them, because it can hold a lot of tonal range in very nice shades of black.

Superb, chris!
Great use of the filter too!
Thank you Ned. I got the 67mm filter in the morning, because the sky looked especially blue when I went outside.

Both good , but I'm partial to the second .
Looks like the southwest 's version of the diners you see in the northeast US.
Thanks Biggs. It's a passenger rail car that has been taken off the rail chassis and stuccoed. It did some time as a diner - it's for sale now and they have a little sign with some history. It was made in 1867 and carried President Grant between Chicago and St. Louis one time.

i like the light.
i like the big bright water tank.
the second photo makes me think the railroad ran thru this town, and at some point, someone picked up an old railcar and used it as a base structure for their dwelling?
Thanks Rodney - the tank just jumped out at me too. The building was indeed a rail car - there are many tracks in Miami and neighboring Globe, Claypool and Superior. Those towns ring a huge, open-pit, still operating copper mine.

the second shot is creepy... nice work
Thanks Bear! I often strive for creepy.

It does look like great light there - I like the texture visible in the first one a lot.
Thanks John. It was about an hour from sunset, and the light was perfect, but it had been particularly good all afternoon. It makes me want to spend more time out of the city.

Latest threads

Top Bottom