Michigan Gathering: June 23!

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by sommer, May 17, 2007.

1. In the interest of keeping things simple, I'm planning an afternoon/evening event for Saturday, June 23. We'll meet at my home in downtown Howell at 3:00pm for lunch/dinner. That will give us a few hours to chat and catch up with old friends and meet new ones. At around 5:30 or 6:00 (and depending on the weather) we'll head over to the Michigan Challenge hot air balloon launch...this is a race and a chance to see the whole process up close and personal! Depending on when the balloons launch, we may have a few hours to kill before the late-night moon glow. If that's the case, I'll have a campfire back at my house, and we can enjoy that until it's time for the moon glow. My house is no more than 5 minutes from the launch site, so it's easy to go back and forth.

The balloon launch is part of the Michigan Challenge, and details on the event can be found here...http://www.michiganchallenge.com/index.html

If you click on the schedule and then on Saturday, you'll see there are events scheduled all day long...a classic car show, the rock-n-roll canine show (so cute), stunt kite flyers, skydivers, a medieval village, a huge showing of arts-and-crafts (including a few photographers, usually.) And these are the events at the launch site only! In downtown Howell there are even more events on that day. There's a low-key dog show, which my 2 youngest will enter :wink:, kids' activities and the like. If anyone's interested I can map out an historic walking tour of downtown...our main street alone has 14 places on the national historic register.

If you come out early in the day, come by the house and I'll have donuts and juice for all. We'll be around the house all day except for the downtown dog show around noon, so stop by anytime! My house is an easy 5-10 minute walk from all parts of downtown, so you're welcome to park your car here while you're exploring the area. And then hopefully everyone can gather here at 3pm for food and fun. I have plenty of games and things for the kids to do, so please, please, please bring the whole family.

As the date nears, I'll ask for a firm headcount, so I can figure out how much food to buy. I'm thinking hamburgers/hotdogs and that sort of picnic food, so if anybody has any specific dietary requests, please let me know. I was a strict vegetarian for years, and many of our friends have food allergies, so I'm totally used to accommodating special requests...don't be afraid to ask!

Admission to the balloon challenge is free. However, parking costs $12 per day or $20 for the weekend. Discounted weekend parking passes are available for $15 if purchased before June 21 at a local bank. If anyone coming from out of town plans to attend on more than one day, just shoot me your $15 and I'll pick up a discounted weekend pass for you. The parking fee should be your only cost for the gathering...I'll provide the food and drinks. We'll be having birthday cake for dessert, to celebrate my home's 100th birthday this year :biggrin:!

2. Well I can tell ya my kids are counting the days until they see Melissa!

Now, let's all chip in and help Sommer pay for the foods and stuff! We can pass a hat around at her house or something like that!
    Also, I'm trying to scare up some nikon stuff for souvineers but so far, it's not easy! Gotta do some talkin.

3. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    Passing the hat sounds good - I'm not far, either, 'bout an hour, so let me know if I can bring anything! :)

4. Ditto for me about bringing something! Actually a potluck sounds kinda nice and then take up a collection to help pay for the main course? My passion in cooking is desserts but will bring anything that will go with whatever we have!

OH, if anyone brings a homemade goodie - BRING THE RECIPE! I'll tell ya'll why later.

5. My wife Cathy and I are planning on being there. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

6. Well the time is getting close ya'll! We'll be headin for MI on the 14th if not sooner. Just for the info, I'd love to hear from some of you Michiganders about places to shoot - for future reference. I've heard about Picture Rocks? and some wildlife refuge around St. Johns? Anyway, whatever we decide on shooting on the 23rd will be fun! I can hardly wait!

7. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    Woohoo!!!! :)

I'm not much help....haven't had time to venture out much at this point.

8. Sad news ya'll.

We're not gonna be able to make it. Things have changed at Mark's job, we've had some unexpected expenses come up, and so we're just gonna have to stay close to home. I'm sick over this as I know I'm the one that started the idea. I'm sorry ya'll - more than words can say. I know my kids are disappointed at not getting to see their friend - Melissa. BUT hey, we'll try for a Christmas time get together! I found out too, there be eagles around Saginaw! So, what better time to come up!? Okay, I'm gonna shut up now. Sorry again for the change in plans, we were really looking forward to it.

9. Dianne, it's too bad you won't be able to join us! I'm sorry to hear things aren't going so well there.

For those who are coming, if you'd like to bring a side dish to share, you're more than welcome. And bring some chairs, too...depending on how many people come, we may need extra seating here, and you'll probably want them at the balloon launch regardless.

I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone in June. It still feels like lightyears away right now, but I'm sure it will sneak up on me! In the next few weeks I'll post a menu and get an exact head-count. If no one objects, I'd also like to invite the Livingston County Photographers group to join us...I figure the more the merrier!

10. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    Awwwwwwwwww. :( I hope things get better for you soon!!

Chairs - check. Not sure if the DH is coming with or not yet...but will definitely bring something!

11. Schlitz

Schlitz

Apr 22, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Dave Talboys
    Well, as my luck will have it, I am not going to be able to make the get together on the 23rd. Not only that, but I will miss out on a high school class reunion and a small family reunion that same weekend :325: Things here at work have kind of taken a left turn on me, and I need to reschedule my vacation time. On a positive note, I will be in the Detroit and Kalamazoo areas for work next week, and do plan on visiting the folks over the weekend.

Sommer, I'll think of you as I get off at the Howell exit and stop at the little grocery store on the corner of Burkhart and Howell-Mason road to get a bottle of pop for the ride to Mason. Thanks for opening your home to us, and putting this together for everyone - that is so nice! Be sure to take and post up lots of pics!

12. What day are your leaving? Waterski show in Belleville is 6/16

13. Schlitz

Schlitz

Apr 22, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Dave Talboys
    I'll be heading out Sunday - if go visit my brother in Novi on Saturday, I'll make him take me out to the Waterski Show - Belleville isn't that far away.

14. 3:00, downtown belleville.

I will either be driving...spotting...taking photos...or doing something, LOL

15. ya'll, I'm sorry we've had to change our plans! I was so looking forward to getting together with everyone and having a good time! Between job, gas prices, and a few other unexpected expenses, we've had to cancell our vacation. I sure do hope ya'll will take a ton of photos for us to drool over and see what we missed out on!

16. Dave, I'm sorry you won't be able to make it! Enjoy your time in Kzoo...that's my old stomping ground and what I thought would be my forever home until life threw us a curveball. It's still my favorite place in Michigan.

Use caution in getting off at that Burkhart road exit...it's a construction nightmare and at least one of the ramps is completely closed. "Go big or go home" seems to be the construction motto in that area :wink:!

17. The clock is ticking and we're just about 2 weeks away from the big day! Time for rsvp's!

So far I have:

Sommer (3)
    Scott (2)
    Lisa (1)
    Kerry (1)
    Andy (3)
    Jim (2)
    Mark (1)
    LCPG members Jim and Richard (2)
    Dave (1-2)

I'll keep updating the list as more people rsvp.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2007
  18. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    I'll try to nail him down on attendance. :) He snagged my Minolta when I bought my Nikon, but hasn't used it very often....might be a good experience!

19. Schlitz

Schlitz

Apr 22, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Dave Talboys
    Thanks for the head's up, Sommer! Maybe I'll just run I-96 down to Okemos and head in that way.

20. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Hi Sommer,

I'm planning to attend all 3 days. AFAIK, I'll be solo. I'd like to contribute to the food fund. Dunno if anyone would want to eat my cooking..... :redface: I'd also like to take you up on your offer for buying the parking fee pass in advance. If you wish, send me an email or PM with your name/address and I'll put a check in the mail for $30, if that would cover the parking and food bill. Let me know if that's not enough.

I'm planning to do the dog shows, which are agility type, right? I know you'll be busy when your kids are in the ring, so if you want me to try to get some good shots of them, can do that too. Anything else you might need/want, lemme know. I live on the east side of Detroit, so can be there in about 50 minutes or so, depending on traffic and speed traps. :tongue:

Just praying for good weather, like we had today. :biggrin: