Michigan Snowy Owl

Discussion in 'Birds' started by KJM83, Dec 6, 2017 at 10:23 AM.

1. KJM83

KJM83

May 5, 2010
    Livonia, MI
    I'm a bit nervous posting images on this Forum based on all the skilled Photographers who dwarf my talent level. But I'm so truly inspired by everyone's work that I yearn to up my game.
    First attempt to locate Snowy Owls in Michigan was successful as soon as we arrived on location. I was using a rented Nikkor VR 200-500 to use with D500 body. I love the lens, not too heavy, pretty crisp detail-just need some work on getting better hand position for large zoom turns, sometimes it takes 2 turns if not anticipating subject movement quick enough. The day was beautiful, 50 degrees & sunny in December in Michigan.
    My27 yr old son Matthew was with me & he was really excited to practice his new craft as well. His two shots are the last two posted in flight & landing. I'm Jealous he had camera when the Snowy decided to move, but proud to share equipment with him.
    Any critiques & tips are welcome
    Thanks

On the lookout.
    DSC_6881aa1.
    Wink, wink.
    DSC_7016aa.
    Stuck the Landing.
    DSC_6857aa.
    On the move.
    DSC_6855aa.

2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    GREAT shots!!!! Both of you did very well!!!! I like #1 because his/her eyes were open nicely. And the last shot is excellent as well! I look forward to more images from both of you!

3. Superb shots

4. Even the best have to start somewhere, and you 2 have obviously learned from looking at the great pictures here. Well done.

5. Glad you found one - they are really great looking birds. I too like 1 the best. It is not easy to always find one with its eyes open.

6. Binnur

Binnur

Oct 4, 2017
    Izmir / Turkey
    A beautiful bird and a nice set.

7. Still looking for my first of the year. I envy your success. You certainly took advantage of the opportunity. Blue sky set them off nicely, well done.

8. KJM83

KJM83

May 5, 2010
    Livonia, MI
    Thanks Karen. I like #1 also mainly because of both eyes, but I really like the winking part also. We tried for quite sometime to capture both eyes illuminated. With the low sun I'm not sure if they would be napping or just shutting them because of the brightness.

Thanks Randy, coming from you that means a lot. Inspiration!

Palouse I have learned a ton from this site & I hope to be more active now that I am retired. Many thanks to people like yourself.

Thanks Allen, we came across 4 of the Snowy owls on this day which we found surprising. As the day progressed more people encroached upon them causing them to move further into the Wildlife Refuge that is currently open to hunting. I intend on returning soon trying to get better shots especially w/eyes as the focal point.

Thank you Binnur. I am overjoyed that our Son Matt enjoys spending time with Dad & can share some of my hobbies as well.

9. nicely done...you should not be the least bit hesitant about posting images on the forum here, given the quality of these shots. Great to have a family member who shares your excitement. keep it up and don't be bashful

10. KJM83

KJM83

May 5, 2010
    Livonia, MI
    Thanks Carl, seems like I picked a good time to spend more time Birding & Photography of said birds. There has been a lot of reporting of this year being another year of Snowy Owl irruptions. I found this guide highlighting the general (especially ONT N of lakes Erie & Ont.) area then going to eBird as well. Kaufman Field Guides

Thank you for the confidence booster Bohdan. The Nikkor VR 200-500 exceeded my expectations, combined w/my bodies I now feel I can get more of the shots I see posted here by the "Pro's" lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. Me too! Been retired since June. Get my new camera tomorrow--hello world!

• Like Like x 1