Michigan State Capitol -- D850

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by gnagel, Nov 10, 2017.

1. On my drive back to Chicago from Detroit, I stopped in Lansing to revisit the Michigan State Capitol. Michigan was one of the first state capitols that I photographed as part of my quest to photograph all 50. So, I decided to revisit this one with the D850.

1- Inner Dome from the Rotunda Floor. Note the flag cases. These are the battle flags that Michigan soldiers carried into the Civil War, Spanish American War and WWI. Until recently, more than 200 of the actual flags were on display in these cases. Now, the flags have been moved into a more suitable archival space--and replicas are on display.
    p2617158009-4.

p2617158010-4.

3- House of Representatives Chamber
    p2617158326-4.

4- Old Supreme Court
    p2617158368-4.

5- President Gerald Ford portrait
    p2617158384-4.

6- Governors Portraits are displayed throughout the rotunda
    p2617158524-4.

7-
    p2617158414-4.

8- House of Representatives Chamber
    p2617158017-4.

9-
    p2617158013-4.

p2617158012-4.

11-
    p2617158342-4.

12- Senate Chamber
    p2617158214-4.

Thanks for looking...
    Glenn

• Like Like x 1
  2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Excellent! What an opportunity to "look back" at the start of your incredible journey to capture the state capitols of every state. Given that you have learned a lot on that journey and comparing similar compositions, how much do you feel the D850 has increased your ability to capture your visions of these capitols over the D800?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks Karen...it's an interesting question.

In the end, the final product that I can create from the D800 is not that different from that of the D850. But, the D850 makes it much easier to capture these images--and improves my chances of capturing keepers. The D850 practically eliminates any chance of camera shake. I find that its Live View is far easier to use than the Live View on the D800. This makes it far easier for me to acquire precise focus as well.

The larger files of the D850 afford more ability to crop--which comes in handy when I'm tossing pixels away to try to eliminate distortion when my lens is tilted up. Being able to move the D850's LCD screen will be a big benefit when shooting ceilings--once I have the appropriate L-bracket that will allow me to move it! The D850 produces files with more dynamic range at ISO 64--which means less bracketing and less work. For example, in the pictures above I mostly just used two images to control the scene (the second image was always to retain some detail in the chandeliers). With the D800, I was usually using 4 or 5 files to create images such as these.

The D850 is sharper straight out of camera. And, when I pixel peek--it's sharper in the final pictures as well.

For me, one of the biggest benefits is that I can also use my D850 for other subjects: sports, wildlife, etc. I don't feel the need to carry two bodies.

Glenn

4. Tinstafl

Tinstafl

Aug 6, 2008
    Virginia
    Are you allowed tripods in the capitals. Stellar work by the way.

5. Excellent photography and colors. Also love the B&W images. You mentioned that you had photographed the state capitols in all 50 states, where might I see the one from Utah?

Ps: Glenn, I did find two exterior shots of the Utah state capitol building but since you do not label the interior shots I could not tell if they were from Utah.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  6. Salt Lake City :D:ROFLMAO::p

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. That is funny Nick. :ROFLMAO:

8. Thank you, John...so far, I've visited 49 state capitols. Tripods are permitted in 48 of those. The only one where a tripod is not permitted is North Carolina. However, you may still take photographs in the North Carolina State Capitol.

Glenn

9. Thanks Gordon...

Here's a link to all of my state capitol collections...and there is a folder for each state.
    State Capitols

Also, when I visited Salt Lake City, I captured some photographs at Temple Square:
    Temple Square

And the Cathedral of the Madeleine:
    Cathedral of the Madeleine

Glenn

10. I really appreciate the links Glenn. I will be pouring over all of them.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tinstafl

Tinstafl

Aug 6, 2008
    Virginia
    Thank you for the heads up

12. Tinstafl

Tinstafl

Aug 6, 2008
    Virginia
    I read about you throwing pixels away due to distortion. Have you considered a tilt shift? I love my 24 mm but that new 19 is calling my name too.

13. The problem with the tilt shift for me is that I am always shooting at 14mm. 24 isn't nearly wide enough and 19mm wouldn't be either. I even break out the fisheye sometimes because 14mm isn't wide enough!

Glenn

14. Tinstafl

Tinstafl

Aug 6, 2008
    Virginia
    makes sense

15. Binnur

Binnur

Oct 4, 2017
    Izmir / Turkey
    Excellent set!

16. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Nice set.
    Always amazes me how buildings in the 1800's mirror architectural detail when build at similar times and thousands of miles away.

17. Thanks Binnur
    Thanks West...yes, the architectural styles seem to be contagious.

Glenn

18. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    I guess all these different architects subscribed to the original (exact) English school of design, as they rarely ever saw each others work. What caught my eye was the Rotunda in your photo which is pretty much identical to the Victoria BC Parliament Building's one which was built within an 11 year span by a different architect.
    bc legislature building rotunda - Google Search:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  19. Remarkable resemblance...

Glenn

20. I really enjoy your work. One question for you. What photo processing did you use? They are so sharp and clear and vivid and almost a 3D look. Thank you.