Michigan's U.P.

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by kgilby, Sep 16, 2008.

1. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    I thought we'd avoid all the rain this past weekend, so we headed up to Michigan's Upper Peninsula on Friday for a long weekend. That afternoon and evening were beautiful. Saturday morning was a bit overcast, but we got in a few hours of kayaking on Clark Lake in the Sylvania Wilderness Rec. Area. After lunch we hiked a bit, and went to Bond Falls, one of many in the area.

Then the rain started, and it didn't stop until late Saturday/early Sunday. The tent couldn't handle the steady soaking, so we packed it up Sunday morning and started heading south. It could have been much worse - back home in Chicago they got about 8-9 inches in a days time. Our neighbors returned from a visit to Austin, TX (where it did not rain) on Friday, just in time for the drenching. Here's a few shots from the trip.

103222779.jpg

Bond Falls:
    103222783.jpg

Eagle River, WI:
    103222803.jpg

Conover, WI:
    103222795.jpg

The rest of them are here: http://www.pbase.com/kgilbertsen/u_p

C&C welcomed.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2008
  2. Sounds like you had a typical UP weekend. The saying up here is "if you don't like the weather wait a minute and it will change". Labor day it was in the 90's and by Wednesday the 3rd we had 50's. I still love the outdoors and living up here. Check out the Porkies if you like hiking.

3. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks for the tip Chris. We were going to hike the Porkies last summer, but when I called up there and talked to a ranger, he said the flies were so thick that he couldn't see his shirt sleeves! That was near the end of June, so I guess we'll just have to go at the right time of year to avoid them. It looks like there is some great hiking in the area - we were going to do a loop hike that included some fly fishing, too. Do you have any suggested hikes?

Ken

4. I have been going up there the last 4 or 5 years and staying in cabins. Each year we stayed at the mouth of the big carp river. The flies are bad depending on the wind direction. If it is off the lake it is ok. The lake Superior trail is a nice hike. You can camp along it. This year we stayed at a cabin on Mirror lake. There wasn't any flies at all. Next year we are going back there. The hike from the south boundry road to Lake of the clouds is another nice hike.
    It is a beautiful place with the old growth hemlock trees and well worth the trip.

5. we were up there this summer (mid august) no flies to speak of. Seen alot of waterfalls in the area. Hiked in the porkies - summit peak / to mirror lake. Did a few of the shorter hikes also. Wanted to hike to Lake of the Clouds from the southern boundary road - but was running out of light for it.

Also went up to the ski jump at copper peak. Some amazing views from up there!

6. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks Chris, sounds like you had a great trip. We considered doing the Porkies for this years fall backpacking trip, but decided on the Adirondacks instead. We will be getting back up your way soon, though, I'm sure. Thanks again.

Ken

7. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Ben, I read about the ski jump on our way HOME this trip! It was in a brochure we picked up when we were walking around Eagle River in the rain Saturday afternoon. That would be a great lookout in the fall, too.

Ken

8. There is another ski jump in Iron Mountain that you can climb also. Great fall views from there. This jump they still hold a tournament on each year in Feb.