Micro Nikkor 200/4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by KlausH, May 14, 2005.

1. Please can someone of you give me a helping hand and post one or two photos which he/she shot with this lense?

What is the main difference to the Micro 105/2.8 - yes 200! :) -, but else?

Thanks!

2. Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Apr 24, 2005
    Alaska
    Working distance is much greater with the 200. The 200 AF is quite a bit bigger unlike the 200 manual micros that only went to 1:2 - this made them great all-purpose travel tele's IMHO.
    Tom

3. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    200mm macro

I use the Nikon 200 mm Macro 2.8 a lot and really like the extra working distance over the 105 mm (which I also have).
    Here are a couple of photos taken with the 200.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Others can be found at ottercreek.smugmug.com

If you have additional questions please do not hesitate to ask.
    Jerry Snider

4. The big difference is working distance, also add a 6T and you get 2:1 while having 5.5 inches from the end of the lens to subject.

Ten inches working distance at 1:1 from end of lens to subject, that's with out the lens hood.

Its also very solidly built. makes a lot of lenses feel like toys.

[​IMG]

This Sapsucker was 1/80 f8 handheld, fill flash cropped.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Martin

5. rr

rr

May 2, 2005
    I'm also hesitating between the 105mm and the 200mm.I'm new to macrophotography and I read several times that it's much harder to start with a long macrolense because all your "mistakes" (movement,bad focussing...) will be enlarged even bigger.

Advantages over the 105mm: as said the extra working distance but also the fact that your subject becomes more isolated from the background and the bokeh is nicer.
    And because you're further away you don't cut off the light with your lense from the subject and it's easier to let your flash give a more natural light (because it gets more diffused,again the extra distance is an advantage).

It's the fact one has always to use a tripod that makes me hesitate too.Not really practical but the lense weights 1,2 kgs!

6. rr

rr

May 2, 2005
    I've bought the 200mm micro beast!! :lol: :lol:

7. Congrats to you! I saw one posted on the KEH site, but this was after I ordered my 70-180. I look forward to your images. I might reconsider this lens in the future. Who am I kidding, if I could get it now, I would! :lol:

8. rr

rr

May 2, 2005
    Thanks!I saw the one posted at KEH too but the price difference with a new one was too small so I bought myself a brand new one.I'll certainly post some images.Be patient!! :lol: :wink: